1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Hydraulic Cylinder replace or rebuild???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have a customer who has been served faithfully for a long number of years by several Mec Hustlers. It looks like the top of a couple of his cylinders are starting to drip oil. New cylinders cost $100+. He told me that someone rebuilds them for a much smaller charge. Anyone know who does this and what does it cost? Any cylinders (non leaking) for sale that will fit a Mec Hustler? What is the best oil to use in your pump? Pump maintenance that you suggest? Is the Hydraulic that much faster than an Automate? Thanks for you help. Omaha

2. omahasportingsupply

PM is on if you don't want to leave lurking mode to go public with your thoughts. Omaha

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Mec sells a seals kit for the silver cylinders, Less than 20 bucks. You can fix it your self in about 30 minutes.

I've done a few with no problems.

Jim

bikerjohn thanked this.
  4. omahasportingsupply

Thanks Jim. I have nothing to lose so I think I will try to rebuild one. Nobody got on this thread and said that if I rebuild one I will have to vote for Hillary, so I will try it. Better than watching the democratic convention! LOL Omaha

5. omahasportingsupply

Jim, I just called Mec and talked with Rick in Tech support and he stated that they don't sell a cylinder rebuild kit. He also stated that the 10W30 oil was best for the pump, but it could be cheap quality oil. Rick also stated that you don't need the breather cap unless you are going to use the overflow tube. I got it apart last night. To the hydraulic shop Thursday night. The O ring was still good, but a packing nut (?) came out in pieces. The bottom rubbers were worn but still not leaking oil. Omaha

6. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Ajax, Please post the part numbers. I have a number of 9000Hs and have sent my cylinders back to MEC when they start leaking. I've sent back about 4 or 5 since 2002 and they replaced them for me. If I can rebuild them myself I'll try that path next time. Thanks for the info.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

QTY -- Part Number -- Description

2 ----- 2020 ---- O-Ring

1 ----- 8860 ---- Seal 1" Polypack (Piston)

1 ----- 8858 ---- Seal 1/2 Polypak

1 ----- 8765 ---- O-Ring

This is the "package" of parts I order to rebuild the rebuildable cylinders. Ron said it does help if you have the numbers, otherwise they have to find them in the computer. I did not ask the new price, the price in Feb. was $16.50 plus Shipping. Total $22.00 Glad I could help, just wasn't sure anyone else would be interested.

Ajax

8. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

i had one that started leaking out of the bottom so i took it to a friend and had rebuilt.... still leaked so i upgraded to the one with the vent tube and it worked much better and faster good luck

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Just a little note, You will have to take the little adjustable valve out of it and watch out for the spring from hell when you unscrew the top.

Jim

10. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

THANKS AJAX..GOOD LUCK

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

some times you can luck out. I have a hydrolic hose/cylender repair place not far from me. They have repaired rebuilt of fabricated many hydrolic things for me.

12. omahasportingsupply

I found we have a youth shooter in our program this year whose father runs a hydraulic shop. I am looking to take in a FIRST generation cylinder to him to dissect and see if it can be rebuilt or salvaged. I am looking to pick up several more cylinders for experimentation. First Generation have the top welded on. Second Generation had a top cap that can be screwed off. LEAKING is OK. Any retired leaking cylinder for sale? PM or Email if you want. If you don't want them, I will pay the freight. After we see if we can improve them, we will post an update. Thanks for any help? Omaha

13. omahasportingsupply

Have had my rebuilt cylinder working for a week or so. No leaks, better movement than ever. Works awesome. Now trying to find a Generation two unit to rebuild to compare cylinders. I know what MEC charge for the new cylinders. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for a hydraulic cylinder if you don't buy the replacement from Mec? How much do they cost? Thanks Omaha

14. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Guys,

You might want to take the cylinder apart before ordering parts. I have found the inner spring to be damaged after loading many thousand of shells on my Mec 9000H. It would probably be a good idea to just replace it since you have to take it apart anyway.

Dennis

15. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Guys,

I now offer rebuilding of the mec first generation hydraulic cly with out the screw on caps if anybody's interested in getting them fixed, for 40.00+ return shipping

thanks
    lee

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I recently spoke to Ron at Mec and you can send your generation two cylinders for rebuild for approx $50.00 with a year warranty. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 cylinder
mec 9000 h hydraulic cylinder rebuild kit i
mec 9000 hydraulic cylinder
mec 9000h hydraulic rebuild kit
mec hydraulic cylinder o-ring locations
mec hydraulic cylinder rebuild
mec hydraulic cylinder rebuild kit

rebuild mec hydraulic