1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Did anyone out there ever have a problem with having the wad on their Grabber fail to line up properly with the mouth of the hull? I can load a couple shells and it works great. All of a sudden the wad will hit the side of the mouth of the hull and will not enter the hull. The fingers are good and I'll bet I tried adjusting this station 100 times and still can't figure out the cause. I may not be a rocket scientist, but this seems like such a simple fix and I can't figure it out. You would think after 100+ times I would get lucky. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Ed

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

may not help but..when i was adjusting my pw 2000 the wad ram was just nicking the top of one of the wads and bending it in and wad would cock sideways in the mouth and not go in,so check the clearance and make sure the wad ram isnt hitting the wad if its a progressive mec. set mine at around 1/8 inch clearance and no problem now.

bill

3. willing

willing Member

Possibly you need to clean the detent holes and adjust the retaing spring for the detent.(the little thingie that clicks when you rotate)

Bill

4. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

This happens to me occasionally. My experiences fall into two categories: one, the base of the wad is not completely round (rare), and two, the mouth of the hull (usually an old one) has a split and a petal is intruding too far into the mouth. Both are easy fixes - remove the shell (and offending wad), use index finger to open hull mouth more, or squeze wad from a slight oval to more round; replace shell and try again. Usuall works for me........ Milt

5. esoxhunter

Bill: Thanks for the input. However, that is not it. The Grabber is not a progressive loader. You have to manually turn the turret. The wad does not line up with the hull correctly, hits the edge of the mouth of the hull and damages not only the hull, but the bottom of the wad. As I said, you would think after adjusting it all of those times I would have hit the combination. I thought that possibly the long rod where the wad holder is attached was bent. However it seems straight enough. Ed

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Are your "fingers" the old style orange and relplaceable units or the newer black single unit that includes fingers? I have the old style on my Grabber and even when they look good and are adjusted perfectly, I'll experience what you describe and it's always solved by replacing the fingers. That's assuming you're adjusting properly of course....Bob Dodd

7. esoxhunter

My fingers are the newer single black unit that includes the fingers. This is happening with once fired hulls. I can't believe something so simple can be so difficult to figure out. I can load 2 or 3 shells and then I'm back to "square one".

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

How 'bout watching real closely with your downstroke and see if the fingers are actually dropping inside the hull mouth. I know it's simple but I gotta ask. Maybe a call to MEC is next....Bob Dodd

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I screwed around with just such a problem and finally resulted with my placing the wad on the tube and letting the tube push it into the guide. This also permits the guide to drop into the case mouth before the wad reaches the case mouth. Works for me with a Hydro Mec.

Big Jack

10. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin TS Member

Try adjusting it this way. Loosten the wad guide while over a hull with powder/primer in it. Place a wad on ram. MARK THE CORRECT HEIGHT on the guide rod (you need about 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance). Lower press handle to bottom of stroke. Raise wad guide to correct height then TIGHTEN IT. Test it.

If it is adjusted with the wad ram going down through the guide, the horisontal position over the hull should be correct since it can't move left or right. You only have to worry about the correct height.

Let me know how you come out with this.

James

11. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

If you don't get it , give tis guy a call Gordy Zimmerman (customer service Mayville Engineering Co. 920-387-4500 ext. 6485 or 1-800-797-4632 ext. 6485
    hope this helps Jeff

12. IM390

IM390 Member

I hate to be a rocket surgeon, but it is possible there is a #8 pellet stuck in one of the shell turrets, which would prevent the hull from lining up properly. It is surprising how something so small can create a big problem whenever we automate.

13. esoxhunter

Tomorrow I will take this beast on with everything I have. I do not have confidence that it will work. I gave this loader to my son a number of years ago. It worked perfect and I probably loaded 25-30 thousand rounds through it. No problems. The last 3 years he had nothing but trouble with this wad issue. The loader was taken to MEC twice and gone through. Upon return to the loading bench, it again did the same thing. I have loaded shells with a 600 Jr., a 650, another Grabber, 2- Hornady 366's and a Ponsness Warren. Never have I had a problem like this which seems so simple but cannot be rectified. As stated I will try once more and then to the junk yard!!. Thanks. Ed

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, I use a deprimed hull in that station to align the wad guide so it's centered. Tilt the bottles back and look down thru the drop tube for alignment and adjust accordingly. Centering the opening in the wad guide with the hole in the deprimed hull is like aligning "peep" sights and it works great. Hap

15. tlea

tlea TS Member

Try one of these.
    (1) If the wad fingers are worn out the hole in the bottom gets larger on one side usually, and doesn't fall into the empty hull some times.
    (2)Check your primer depth. Put a straight edge across the bottom of a hull that gets cocked and see if the primer is a tad out. This will cause the hull to rock on the station and the wad fingers will hit the top of the shell when they drop.
    (3) The platform the hull rides on must be clean. Think of the powder bits that are constantly falling out of the bar!

I'd prolly check #2 first tho.

Tom

16. esoxhunter

Thanks Guys: I will be out in the garage tomorrow and will let you know how I am progressing. Ed

17. esoxhunter

Well gang: I think I did it. All I did was change the wad finger assembly. I compared the old one with the new one and could not find any difference in the two. Anyway it loaded a box of shells without a problem. Still don't know what the problem was, but it appears the wad fingers were the culprit. Thanks for all the help. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.