1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec H9000 primer problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Alamo, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alamo

Alamo Member

Have Mec 9000H. Primer drop, drops primer every time. The problem is that
    every one in ten times, the primer jumps out of the carousel hole as the carousel advances. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Clean out the re-sizing die. There may a piece of shot flattened between the fingers. Hap

3. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Hap,

Why would a piece of shot stuck between the finges of the collet cause the primer to flip?

Chip

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Collet might be a little tight, back it off some. It's releasing all at once instead of gradually, causing the primer to flip.....GOOD LUCK

5. John 53

John 53 Member

A powerful magnet attached to the base of the loader will stop MOST of the primer flips. I got mine from an old motor that was being scraped.

That being said, if there is any powder in the primer seat, it has a better chance to bounce out.

John

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I think what Hap is referring to is the possibility that the resizer is hanging up just a bit on the up stroke, then snapping just enough to cause the primer to jump.

7. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

I have found that the problem is corrected with a little anti-seize grease on the outside fins of the collett. Don

8. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Why do only 10% flip? Is the collet sticking only 10% of the time? I've also read on TS.com that the position of the nut that holds the fingers can be responsible for the jumping primers. Any thoughts on that?

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I suspect they are all jumping, only some jump enough to flip. Flip a coin 100 times. Why does it come up heads sometimes?

10. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

Alamo check to see if you have lost your index ball its located on the back side of the square upright it is held in place by a metal clip with a clip on it my loader did this. I must have lost the ball cleaning it replaced it now its ok

11. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

2 things I found out on my 9000 when it was new. one I pushed a little on the primer tube to align it better, two on the down stroke, when your all the way down dont snap the handle up as soon as your down hold it a split second and you will see more primer stibility

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

A suggestion I received from knowledgeable Mec repair person was to take a dremel tool with the sanding drum or fine stone on it and gring away at the collet just under the hole of the primer seat. Also make sure the collet is clean and properly lubed. It has solved my problem. Jake

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Why do only 10% flip? Is the collet sticking only 10% of the time? I've also read on TS.com that the position of the nut that holds the fingers can be responsible for the jumping primers. Any thoughts on that?"

Chip, the primers won't fall in the exact same place every time on the carousel when they drop. Possibly the one's popping out are up against the carousel side and get more of a boost when the fingers pop?

Mine was popping and I had that same problem a long time back too. Lubing the outsides of the collet helped some but that click was still there. I found a piece of shot flattened so much it looked like a flake of powder! Once I cleaned the bottom of the collet with a bent dental tool and blew it out with compressed air, the problem vanished!

Hap

14. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

I have seen this from two sources. 1) The resizing collet as many have mentioned above. 2)The primer may be dropping a tad late. If the primer is still touching the feed tube as the tube starts up the primer can jump. Bend the tab that pushes the bar that drops the primer. A small tweak is usually all that is needed to get the primer started a little sooner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 primer jumps