1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Grabber Rebuild ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I realize I can give MEC a call and ask them, but it's Saturday nite and thought I would scribble something here for some feedback.

I have four MEC Grabbers - 12,20,28 and .410. I was loading some 28 ga shells today and the handle would stick when it was raised on the upstroke. Felt like there was piece of shot lodged in the collet, but I couldn't see anything. So . . . .

Subscribing to the "if it doesn't work easily, force it" theory I did just that.

Now the handle doesn't go up as far as it used to on the up stroke ( probably lacks at least an inch of travel ) and the auto primer tray no longer drops a primer.

I'm thinking the thing probably needs a complete overhaul. I could start to take it apart but would have no idea what I'm looking for re: the problems described.

Anyone sent a Grabber back to MEC and had it overhauled - if so, turn around time ? Cost not including parts ?

Any other suggestions other than sell if for parts on eBay and purchase a new 9000G ?

Thanks in advance

Noel

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Noel you just can't answer this without knowing how many and what parts may need replacement. Their service for me has been quick enough and within the price list for parts. I doubt you'll know, even close, until they look it over and tell you the good/bad news.....Bob Dodd

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Last one I had done cost me a little over $100 including the shipping. Turn around was under two weeks. They can advise you better, since their workload may vary at times. It needed a few parts, nothing major. It came back looking like new and they returned the old parts. They charge by the hour, plus the parts. It's been awhile since mine was done, so I can't quote what the rates would be. They might mention something on their site. I do my own repairs and maintenance these days and have a good selection of parts on hand.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a piece of shot that got squeezed by the collet fingers. Take a dental pick and clean it out from between the collet fingers. Then lube the collet and you should be good to go. HMB

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

amboy49

Just for kicks, check the handle (metal bars) for cracks where the bends are, around the top of the press. They sometimes have a habit of cracking or breaking at those angles. The handle could also be bent.

6. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

If you have handles breaking you have other problems causing this, I'm not trying to be smart, but grabbers are known for sticking at the top due to actuator rod binding or other problems. this is in the 761r-762r models.

Rick there is things to do to the press without putting bushings in the turret witch I would not advise.

thanks
    lee

7. 6chuter

6chuter Member

Noel,

I had the same problem last week. Take it outside and get your air compressor and blow out all of the junk (trash, plastic, shot, etc.) which has built up around the collet. Get some carburetor cleaner (this is why you take it outside) and spray it well. Work it up and down and spray it again. Take the air to it again and work it up and down again. Get some good oil (WD-40 or REM Oil) and spray it on the collet while working it up and down. Wipe off the excess and start reloading!

Hope this helps.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rick,

I keep a couple extra handles and all the attaching parts around, just in case. I have one that I had some gussets welded on the corners, in an attempt to reinforce them. The older handles stand up well. The newer ones seems like they come "pre-broken". The reason I thought this might be the problem, is that one of the first things you notice is the primers stop feeding. The handles are only about ten bucks. I usually check them thoroughly when I do my usual "tuneup" and inspection. I tear the press down about once a year and replace anything that looks worn. I have one of my 9000's that is overdue. I'm just too lazy or busy. Can't figure out which. It will give me a reason to overhaul it soon. I'm sure of that. I have a few others that I have reworked that can be put back into service while I repair the other one. I have my old 650 that I bought about 40+ years ago that is still going strong. It has the old "metal" dies that I prefer, and the "tube" type primer feed. Maybe I can set up a pair of hydraulics and run two at the time? No handle problems on them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to dissasenble mec grabber
how to dissassemble mec grabber
mec actuator rod pre 83

mec grabber parts

mec grabber troubleshooting
mec rebuild
rebuilding mec grabber
rebuilding mec grabber shot shell reloader