1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Grabber Rebuild for Youth Reloading Program

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by joe kuhn, Jan 2, 2017.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The holidays are over, so it's back to work for me. This is a nice Grabber that should be ready in no time. The handle connections are showing no wear, but it could use a couple of new bottles to make it more inviting. An old style primer tray is in order. I have 3 to work from. Will work through the whole loading process to be sure it's completely functional.

upload_2017-1-2_13-31-50.png

2. SNelson

SNelson Member

Joe;
    Do your youth shooters need some once fired hulls?
    Shoot me an e mail, PM or give me a call.
    Scott R Nelson,

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  3. joe kuhn

You bet. I sent you a pm. Better remove your email address from your post above. Scammers are lurking. Thanks Scott!

4. joe kuhn

First step is to get the resizer working right so I measured some hulls before and after and couldn't get them to be smaller than .8065". The manual says for 12 ga they should be .804 to .806. I like them to be a little smaller than the minimum in case the loader gets used on steel based hulls which don't size down a readily

upload_2017-1-3_18-52-41.png

So take the shell lifter out (see it on the left) and loosen the lock nut for the resizer with a 13/16" wrench. As you can see, this is under the machine.

upload_2017-1-3_18-59-15.png

Then turn the collet clockwise so it tightens down into the unit further to give you a smaller re-sized shell.

upload_2017-1-3_19-5-44.png

I turned it one full turn (8 collet blades) but then the brass wouldn't go all the way down and it was mushrooming rims. So I came back 4 collet blades worth or 1/2 a turn. That was pretty close so I gave it one more blade's worth at 5 blades tighter than the starting point.

It's sizing at .803 now which I believe is just right.

upload_2017-1-3_19-8-34.png

Tighten in between each test and put the shell lifter back in so it's functional. Next is the primer insert station.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. joe kuhn

Next I lowered the nut on the bar rod...

upload_2017-1-5_22-9-15.png

...until the screw in the bar comes over just far enough to the left to touch the silver piece.

upload_2017-1-5_22-10-3.png

The nut on the rod was way too high putting pressure on the rod and many other parts which will eventually wear some holes oblong. I've seen some way over tight. All you need is for that screw to touch the silver limiter. No need for any pressure.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. joe kuhn

Next I noticed the bar lock wasn't working because the tab at the red arrow was too low. So I bent it up with a sturdy needle nose pliers so when the bar at the blue arrow goes down, the hook at the black arrow will pivot up high enough to catch the bar at the double black arrows. It works great. Didn't work at all when I started.

upload_2017-1-5_22-24-10.png

I stole a spring from another unit and installed it according to some old directions I had laying around. Will have to order a couple of new springs for later builds. The spring on this unit was just a wire somebody had tried to cheat with.

upload_2017-1-5_22-26-29.png

Next is the primer tray.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. joe kuhn

Take the bar out of the machine to get it out of the way of the plastic cover on the primer tray.

Put the retaining clip (#27) into the clamp (#28)

upload_2017-1-6_22-12-1.png

(at the black arrow shown below) and put the drop tube into the clamp. Then put the clamp on the machine at the red arrow with the flat washer on top an the fluted lock washer on the bottom. Hand tighten the screw and the bolt.

upload_2017-1-6_21-55-51.png

Next I cut 3/8" off the end of a Bic Pen and put it where the primer will fall to check alignment by pulling the handle down. Here is where it started.

upload_2017-1-6_22-2-13.png

Tighten the bolt with a 7/16" box end coming in from the back and tighten the screw with a flathead, recheck alignment with the Bic Pen.

upload_2017-1-6_22-3-55.png

Keep loosening, moving and tightening the bolt. Move the clamp out or in, forward or backward to line it up better...

upload_2017-1-6_22-9-5.png

...and better until the drop tube goes over the Bic Pen like this. That's the goal. Be patient. You now have a target to hit, so keep loosening, adjusting and tightening until it's perfect. This is the hardest part and it is key to getting good drops.

upload_2017-1-6_22-10-33.png

8. joe kuhn

Attach the one end of the chain to the machine and and thread it through underneath as shown below. Check it with a primer. Adjust the length bead by bead from underneath

upload_2017-1-6_22-20-45.png

until primers fall into the drop tube right as you get to the bottom of the handle movement. Here I was getting close.

upload_2017-1-6_22-26-15.png

I think I tightened it 3 more beads at this point to get a primer to drop consistently.

On this primer tray I found the best thing to do to get the primers to slide on the tray was to clean it real good with glass cleaner. I tried furniture polish, but that didn't work that well. Super clean and shiny seemed to work best.

Here's my setup for testing. Bar removed. Primer pad and spring removed so primers can fall into a can when you rotate the shell carrier. Load up some primers and start testing. I had a sticky tray at first and, as I said, glass cleaner got it working so a slight bump at the top of the handle movement slid primers down for the next try. Got 10 to fall perfectly. Then 10 more, done.

upload_2017-1-6_22-23-19.png

9. joe kuhn

Thanks to Scott for the free hulls! They make great packing material to surprise the kids with.

WadHopper thanked this.
  10. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

Great tutorial on adjusting certain things on a MEC.

What you're doing with these rebuilt loaders and the kids is great! Keep up the good work. It's guys like you that make a difference.

11. joe kuhn

Thanks for the kind words. I learn something from every build. This time I bent part of the bar lock lever with a pliers and have never done that before. It was so easy I couldn't believe it. Have been dealing with small rubber washers to take up the slack. Now I know how to do that one. And the pictures of the kids with their new machines are awesome.

12. joe kuhn

I checked with Eli's dad this morning and he still has more shooters in the family than loaders. They shoot 1 oz loads and all I've got is 1-1/8 bars. Anybody?

13. joe kuhn

Here's the poster with pictures of actual recipients from the program. Thanks to DocBombay for the poster.

[​IMG]

And another picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017