1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Grabber Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi I was wondering if the older grabber mecs are considered better than the new style mec grabbers. I just bought a 20ga model 76 1R and have a opportunity to also buy a 410 and 28 grabber 76 1R. I currently have a 9000 in 28 and 410 gauge along with a automate but have not really got it set up yet and may not need it because based on how well the 20ga works that may meet my needs and I have heard that a lot of people prefer the grabbers in the smaller gauges. does anyone know how the older grabbers vary from the new style, mine looks to have the plate guide built right into the base on the back and I don't believe the new styles do, or what are the changes. thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Auto primer feeds are different. HMB

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have been buying and fixing up and selling mec loaders for the past year, allthough I have not come across any grabbers 76series. I can tell you I see no real difference in quality from the oldest loader I fixed up A mec 250 which just needed a good cleaning. to the 650 20g I am working on now thats about 4 years old. I will tell you though looks mean nothing. I have a 650 for perssonal use I bought off a gent who reloaded everything from pistol to shotgun. I do not know how many rounds went through this unit but it works flawlessly. compared to a 650 that looks brand new......well until you go to use it. crimp die was stripped wad guide rod bent and a 1st for me the handle was bent. Must have taked a digger of the back of a truck. Became a good parts loader. Buying anything used can be tricky. If you can score it for a good price then thats ok, plus mec has a good email question/answer and great phone support. Helped me getting my 1st USED loader running great.

4. JonP

JonP Member

I own 3: 1 x 761R in 12ga, and 2 x 762R in 12 & 20 ga.

The 761R has a different wad guide set up where you just get replacement fingers that go in the metal holder and the 761R also has all metal crimping dies as well as a half moon back rail which won't let you remove and replace the hull from the last two crimping stations.

The 762R uses the the one piece plastic wad guide as on your 9000 as well as the same (I think) plastic crimp starter, main crimp die and final crimp die as the 9000.

At this point I haven't had problems getting parts for either and I THINK you can replace all of the metal parts and convert to the plastic parts if the metal ones become unavailable but not totally sure - maybe someone else can speak to that or you can call the MEC people and I'm sure they'll let you know as they've always been real nice and helpful to me.

Jon

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

One of my two MEC loaders is a 76 Grabber from the mid-70s and it's been operation from that time without serious dilemmas. It still makes marvelous reloads and would be dearly missed if it disappeared....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.