1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC GRABBER QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WYBOO WOOD, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

I have a MEC GRABBER. If I set the wad ram down low enough to leave enough roomm for 1/1/8 oz. of #8 in the shotcup, (in AA or STS hulls),I don't have enough clearance between the bottom of the wad ram and the top edge of the wad guide to position the wad for insertion. Happens with CB wads designed for 1/1/8 oz of shot. I have had some success using a BP VP-20 wad which is shorter overall,although all I can get to fit in the shotcup is about 485 gn.and still get a decent crimp. I'd like to get about 490 gn. of shot. I'm loading 20.0 gn. of Green Dot. .
    Is there another brand of wad with a shorter base section that would allow enough room for a full 1/1/8 oz of shot? Or some other adjustment that I am not aware of?

I have the ram set as per the factory instructions in the manual.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Dave Hunt

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Try any of the Fig 8 wads. I use DownRange Fig8 wad~Remington STS/Nitro Hulls~W209 primers~19.3gr of Green Dot estimated at 1145fps.

P.S. Dave--Don't worry about setting the wad ram down low enough for wad pressure. You really don't need any to seat the wad with modern wads. Worry more about the clearance issues to allow the use of the wads you choose. The MEC instructions have not been updated for decades.

Matt

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

You are going to have to play with the depth of you wad set. The wad guide on my grabber is adjustable also. I would adjust the wad guide. The depth set should be close. I reload both AA & STS shells on this machine AA for singles
    STS for caps. I use CB wads.

Jason in PA

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Claybusters are okay, but they'll take up all of your adjustment to get room.

Loosen the allen bolt clamping the shot drop tube (it has the wad pressure guide marked on the side)in place. Note it's position. Tap the drop tube upward until you get enough clearance for your wad fingers, then retighten the allen bolt. Try a few single loadings and see what they look like. You don't need any wad pressure on the plastic one piece wads.

Barring that, you're stuck with cocking the wad over so that the fingers clear the shot tube, then slipping the wad up on the shot tube (I know it's a pain)and proceed. Good luck.

5. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

MEC GRABBER QUESTION

Would any of the Down Range wads....Versalite, Windjammer, etc. be of any help?. I don't know if they are any shorter below the wad cup compared to CB wads.

Pigeon101: How do you adjust the wad guide? Mine is fixed in position verticaly by a small disc on the shaft which holds the guide. All I can do with mine is rotate it to line up with the hull. Dave Hunt

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, call Mec and they will tell you everything that you need to know and have any parts that you may want to replace or upgrade or whatever. They have the best customer service of any company I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. They are great to work with, so give them a call. Go to MecReloaders.com and get there number to call. Break-em all. Jeff

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mec used to supply a specially modified wad guide for issues like that. Long wads and tight clearances. Call and ask them about your problem and mention the modified wad guide. If your's is plastic, you can grind a little off of the top of the right side of it to help fit the wad. A light chamfer might help. Just don't remove too much material.

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Quack Shot is right.
    As cheap as these plastic wad guides are just modify your own.
    Grind a edge/corner above the wad guide fingers to allow you to put the wad in easier. Many people do this to the wad guides any way to make wad insertion faster.

Try it!!

9. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

I just ground my wad guide down some on a small portion for the clearance I needed as Qauck Shot said. It has been that way for almost 4 years now, no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec grabber wad pressure

mec wad guide how to position

mec wad pressure