1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Grabber Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMITH47, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

I have a one year old grabber attached to an automate. At the last inch of the upstroke something feels as if it is binding and making a clunking sound. once in a while something pulls on the carrier at the very end of the upstroke. this problem is of varying degrees and comes and goes.(resizer has been lubed).I have been on the phone with MEC and we have exhausted on the phone adjustments. Mec told me to mail it to them. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem ??

thanks, ernie

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I bent my carrier creating a similar situation. But mine was a 9000E. Replaced the carrier and it all went away. And actually, they stayed with me on the problem and reassembly to eliminate the need to ship it to them. I too stayed on the fix till I got it right.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Don't think just because you have lubed the collett it is no longer suspect. If you were to disassemble it you would probably be shocked at what you would see.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Always wondered what one of the automated MECs would be like when the everpresent piece of stray shot found it's way between the collet fingers. My Grabber and 9000G, when I owned them, always let me know right away that my puny arms weren't enough to overcome anything stuck in that collet. Good luck.

5. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

Pull the carrier that lowers the shell into the collet when the hull is deprimed. After a period of time, there is a buildup of crap on the outside of this tube. I have found that cleaning mine often and then appling some type of lube reduces the drag that you are experiencing. I realize that you may have already done this when you lubed the collet, but if you only lubed the outside of the collet, you may have overlooked this. Hope this helps.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

You are supposed to lube the carrier that lowers the shell into the collet. It is supposed to be kept clean and dry. Lubing it causes the need for frequent cleaning and keeping it dry reduces the need for frequent cleaning. The book says keep it clean and dry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.