1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Grabber not dropping full drop of shot, Ideas?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Supersport, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supersport

Supersport Member

I have Grabber, (older style) that I have been using for a while and it works great. One thing that just started happening that I can not figure out.

It will start throwing a light shot load and my shells are coming out with the top indented in enough that shot might spill out.

I measured the load and with the 502 1 1/8 charge bar in it, I am only dropping about 1.08 oz in the load. I should be dropping 1.25.

I cleaned the rubber gromet inside and made sure of no obstructions, any ideas on what the problem might be or where to look?

Thanks
    Bryan

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

if your bar moves from maximum right to maximum left and there are no obstructions in the tubes ,it must drop 1 1/8

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The MEC factory 1 1/8 oz (118) theoretically is supposed to drop 1.125 oz of shot. It has never done that to my knowledge. Instead it drops 1 1/16 oz (1.0625 oz) if you use hard shot. If it was ever previously dropping 1.125 oz (1 1/8 oz) you either had chilled or pure lead shot or your scales needed cal'ing. If you want to get your moneys worth you need to either get out the Dremel tool, or invest in a Universal charge bar.

Don't despair, at least you are weighing things and figuring things out. Most folks don't even bother. Good luck.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

All my 1 1/8 oz bars drop 1 1/16 oz of #7 1/2 shot. I took a dremmel and reamed out a 1 1/8oz #8 and 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 oz bar.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

As Stokinpls pointed out the MEC bar 1 1/8 oz bar should be dropping about 1.06 oz of hard shot so 1.08 oz is about right.

If every now and then you notice a lighter drop; one possibility is that you are not pulling the handle all the way down and another is if you lift the handle up too fast all the shot will not have dropped into the hull.

Jason

6. Supersport

Supersport Member

Thanks for all the great replies. I will make sure that my bottles are not to tight, I know I snugged them on good last time so maybe that is part of the issue.

Wad pressure is minimal, reading about 38-40, I think that is ok.

I really dont care if I am getting 1/16 or 1/8, what I dont like is when I get a few shells in a row that are pretty severely indented in the top, seems that there is either not enough shot or powder in it. The crimp can get pushed in enough that there is a centered hole about half the size of a BB.

This is not a new load, loaded abotu 500 rounds before this and all was good.

I will check the bottle tightness as well as make sure that bar is traveling the full stroke.

Thanks for the suggestions, any more ideas is great.

7. Supersport

Supersport Member

I think I figured it out. The shell seemed to be hanging up in the priming station and for some reason, even though it would index down, it would not drop a full shot.

Thank you for the suggestions!

8. Franktri

Franktri Member

Are you using one of those gizmos (name escapes me) to help measure the proper powder drop? If so, I have used it and no longer do because a similar thing happened to me.

9. Supersport

Supersport Member

I am using a baffle, has anyone seen that causing an issue?

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

One thing that's cropped up in our area again,me first,then a friend at the club,,Stink bug,,they climb into drop tube,mostly powder tube though,but I figure if they can crawl in powder tube,they could crawl in shot tube.

Glad you found your problem though.

Doug H.

11. David P.

David P. TS Member

Reclaimed shot has a lot of flat spots on it. If you are using it, especially in smaller gage with small drop tubes, it can bridge in the tube.
    David

12. David P.

David P. TS Member

Reclaimed shot has a lot of flat spots on it. If you are using it, especially in smaller gage with small drop tubes, it can bridge in the tube.
    David

13. Borderland

Borderland Member

In your first post you stated that you should be dropping 1.25 oz of shot...that would be a 1-1/4 oz drop so I am sure you do not mean that.
    A full measure would be 1.125 for 1-1/8 oz. Your drop is 1.08 so this difference is only .045 from 1.08 to 1.125. Most MEC bars especially the ones marked "skeet" only drop a full measure of #9 chilled lead shot. If crimp is dished you need to use less wad pressure, change to another wad or adjust the crimp starter to close the shell more and adjust your punch crimp(the cam) on the next station

Ken

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

it's probably bridging in the tube. if you drop the the shot drop tube out and take a look into it, you'll see a series of concentric ridges formed where it's tapered at the end. i can't remember exactly how i fixed mine: whether it was by drilling the ridges out or by sanding them out. but whichever way, i did it to two presses and it fixed the problem once and for all for each of them. good luck with it. i'm thinking drill then sand with emery cloth on a mandrel to polish...

15. Supersport

Supersport Member

Sorry I meant 1.125. I still have some shells that came out very dished. I will take them apart and narrow down if it is to little shot, to little powder or if I am pressing the wad in to far.

I am guessing that it is to little powder!

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When powder manufacturers create loading manuals of safe loads for the masses, do you suppose they drop a full 1-1/8th ounce load of lead shot to attain the posted numbers? Do they use soft chilled shot or high antimony shot? Would this change the pressures we get from dropping an even lighter shot charge one way or other? The hole sizes drilled in shot bars and bushings by MEC are drilled for soft chilled shot which is heavier than high antimony lead by volume. Between soft shot and high antimony shot, are there a pressure differences in the chambers and at the choke?

Hap

17. Franktri

Franktri Member

My previous message stated a "gizmo". That is a baffle.I have in the past used a baffle and it gave an irregular powder drop. I was told to remove it and the problem disappeared. Draw your own conclusions..

18. Supersport

Supersport Member

Thanks fro all of the responses. After tearing a bunch of shells apart it seems it is the powder charge that is the problem and not the shot. I think I isolated it to when I have a pull that binds a little onthe shot and it is pushing the charge bar arm over a bit and not getting a full powder load.

Think I have it corrected now.

Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

650 mec not dropping enough lead

powder charge not dropping on a mec