1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mec grabber needs repair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Briggs, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

My 25 year old 12 gauge Mec Grabber model 761R finally broke. One leaf on the resizing collet has broken and needs to be replaced.

I can order the part directly from MEC. I am not that mechanically inclined although I probably have all the tools to repair it myself.

My question is: Is this a do it yourself job or should I send it into MEC. It could use a cleaning and reconditioning anyway.

Your opinions please.

2. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

turn machine over. Take off 13/16 nut.Raise the entire top paltform. Stick nail in hole to hold it up. The collett screws up and out. Put in new collett and replace nut. Oh..the piece that comes off the verticle bar in ffront has to be loosened to move the fork under machine. You can do it...or a friend can.
    Stroker

3. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

I would also recommend a caliper to measure the brass diameter when you adjust the collet nut. I adjusted mine so that shells slid into my BT 99+ with no problem. Even had a little "slop". They wouldn't go into the new Guerini I bought till I adjusted it a bit tighter. I quit about .805"

Tom

4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Collet change is fairly straight forward. Do you have any big shoots near you?? Around here the MEC guys attend and set up a booth and will repair/rebuild your machine on site. Saves time and shipping. Ive never sent a machine to MEC....but always heard they did a good job. Not too sure how cost effective though. Try posting your question to the reloading forum on www.shotgunworld.com. Alot of MEC experience on that site will lead you in the right direction.

5. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I have the grabber torn down and the old collet removed. Waiting for parts. Thanks to your advice I should have it back together in no time.

Once again, thank you for all your help. You saved me untold valuable summer shooting time. Priceless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.