1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Grabber build for youth that was hydraulic at one time

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by joe kuhn, Jan 7, 2017.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

This one was received for free from a poster here on ts.com. It's not as nice as the last one, but I'm up for the challenge. I'm sure it will a great loader for some young shooter.

It was set up with hydraulics at one time so we'll convert it back to handle driven. We have all the parts to do so. Also in the picture you can see the plastic dies, which I may try to replace with metal ones you see in the background on the table. The connectors for hydraulics are on the left and are mounted on the back of the machine to keep them out of the way of the operator. The handle will be on the front with linkage coming around to the back.

upload_2017-1-7_20-58-26.png

Here's the model number from the front.

upload_2017-1-7_21-4-27.png

The primer pad, spring and post are missing (found) and the carrier doesn't click at all which I've already fixed by

upload_2017-1-7_21-6-27.png

bending the index spring (#92) so it applies pressure on the index ball (#94) which clicks in the carrier divots. I'll replace the spring just in case it's weak.

upload_2017-1-7_21-8-58.png

The spring for the primer station is broken.

upload_2017-1-7_21-12-36.png

The bar assembly is bent, but that is easy. That may have happened in transit.

upload_2017-1-7_21-13-51.png

After a thorough cleaning and some new parts, this baby will be loading shells once again.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Those are good reloading presses. Thanks Joe, for all you do helping young men to become involved in the sport.

joe kuhn thanked this.
  3. joe kuhn

You bet, and young women too. I gave one to a couple of sisters once. That picture is around here somewhere. Will find the thread and push it to the top. Thanks for your note.

4. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

Joe,

I recognize that old "beater" as the one I sent you. Definitely rode hard, but as you say, will make someone a fine reloader when rebuilt. I know it loaded tens of thousands of shells for me over the years.

The Grabber is probably one of the best of the MEC line of loaders. Good luck with the project and thanks for helping new shooters.

joe kuhn thanked this.
  5. joe kuhn

So here's my next part order with a couple of bottles and a bar for the other Grabber I'm working on.

upload_2017-1-8_15-11-45.png

6. joe kuhn

I decided to replace the turret assembly (#70)

upload_2017-1-10_21-8-24.png

because it's so loose on the main shaft. The turret assembly is the piece that all the dies are attached to. To get it removed I had to take this bolt out, from the back of the machine.

upload_2017-1-10_21-2-5.png

Then the internal slider piece (actuator rod) can move up as you take the turret completely off.

You can see the hook at the top of this next picture that was keeping the turret from being removed.

upload_2017-1-10_21-3-58.png

Here are all the pieces attached to the turret. I took some pictures of certain parts to help my memory on re-assembly. Not too bad. I'm going to need to re-install my bench grinder so I can use the wire wheel on the rust. That has worked real good in the past.

upload_2017-1-10_21-5-49.png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. Claypoppy

I'm really interested to see what it looks like when you get is finished.

joe kuhn thanked this.
  8. joe kuhn

Parts came so I'm re-assembling and cleaning as I go. Happened to have a can of Rem Oil, so I clean with that and it leaves a nice lubricated surface as a result. Rem Oil and paper towels are doing the job nicely. Indexer clicks crisply with the new spring.

upload_2017-1-14_14-34-15.png

Handle is on and there is very little play. There's some, but it's comparable to the other hardly used machine that's ready to go out. This one will be a while yet.

upload_2017-1-14_14-39-30.png

9. joe kuhn

Dies are back on and fully functional. A little more rust to remove on the bottom plate and carousel where the shells fit. Then will work on the wood handle.

upload_2017-1-15_11-54-30.png

10. joe kuhn

After you wire wheel the rust off some of the rods, they're pretty bare. What should/can be applied to keep them from rusting again? We're thinking some kind of bluing or metal paint.

11. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Active Member

I use Oxphoblue (sp) from Brownell's

joe kuhn thanked this.
  12. legman

legman Member

Holy crap Joe that was one tired looking machine when you started the rebuild. Any idea how many rounds that machine reloaded? Kenny Bruggeman

joe kuhn thanked this.
  13. joe kuhn

Thanks Harley. That reminded me that my son has some blueing so I will try that on 4 pieces:

Main rod that lifts the shells up through the resizer, the bar trip rod, the bar lock and the primer seat post.

14. joe kuhn

I do not, but it had to be a lot as the turret assembly was pretty wobbly. Here's some of the progress on the handle. I used the wire wheel on my bench grinder for the first pass. Then a couple of passes with a hand sander and some stain/varnish. Maybe one more coat to finish.

upload_2017-1-15_22-32-52.png

upload_2017-1-15_22-33-19.png

And a final picture with the primer tray installed and tuned up.

upload_2017-1-15_22-34-4.png

I stained and varnished the handle and it looks pretty good. New bottles really spruce it up too. Bluing to do yet on some of the bare parts and it'll be done. It resizes down to .804, crimp depth is very close to .050, which is where it should be, and the pre-crimp leaves a nice pea sized hole. The neat part is my son worked on his own stuff in our new shop in the basement as I was working in this. We help each other out as needed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    trapp2012 and Mr. Pump Gun thanked this.
  15. Claypoppy

Kenny,

That machine is one that I got from a guy just before he passed away and he had loaded on it for years. I guess that was about twenty years ago. I reloaded on it until just before I gave it to Joe. Believe it or not, that baby would still crank out a damn fine shell!

Just FYI, I didn't get rid of it because it wouldn't work, but got an incredible deal on a like-new 9oooH with all the goodies due to a divorce.

There is no way to know how many shells were loaded on it over the years, but the original owner and I were/are both high volume shooters. I can assure you it was TENS OF THOUSANDS!

JACK and joe kuhn thanked this.
  16. joe kuhn

Here are the pieces and the gun bluing I'm going to use. Never done this before. Directions are pretty simple. Clean part, wipe on, wait 1 minute, rinse with water, repeat.

upload_2017-1-17_22-35-23.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    JACK thanked this.
  17. joe kuhn

They look pretty rough after a first application. I think I should have wiped them clean with a paper towel and something like carb cleaner after I hit them with the wire wheel on my bench grinder. After rinsing in water like the directions say, they look rusty. Will have to try again.

upload_2017-1-18_21-29-39.png

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. Mr. Pump Gun

Mr. Pump Gun Active Member

Good Idea! In the short time I've been reloading I never considered blueing the exposed steel on my mec. Great program , and keep up the good work!

joe kuhn thanked this.
  19. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Well-Known Member

Great work Joe as always.
    Youtube is your friend when it comes to product info. Look up the blueing and see how it works on some video a guy took hours to make.........
    Instant expert bluing.
    Keep on trucking. This project will pay dividends way past our time.

joe kuhn thanked this.
  20. joe kuhn

What's wrong with removing the rust, oiling them up and reinstalling? I know, they'll rust again easily. How about clear coat?