1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Factory Service

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

My Mec 9000 has one major problem (hulls dropping into collet) and generally needs some TLC. Mec charges $65/hr. Does anyone have any recent experience with their service? How much can they do in an hour with no major issues? Will I end up with a "like new" press? I spent a lot of time tweaking the wad guide and primer feed and they now work flawlessly. Will I end up with problems that I didn't have to begin with because of the "tune up"?

Any comments very much appreciated.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Call them first, they most likely will be able to walk you thru the fix on phone. Jake

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My buddy had a 9000 that had some issues, and called mec to get a quote. They said figure on about $150 plus any required parts. So I think you're going to be into it for more than an hour. I ended up buying it, replacing about $10 bucks worth of parts and an hour of my time tweaking it, and it ran great.

Find someone local that knows the press if you can. I'd be happy to help if you're close to western NY. Otherwise, most gun clubs have one or two guys that are halfway decent at working on loaders.

What is your problem exactly? Hull doesn't follow the lifter down when you pull the handle, or its not going down far enough and mushrooming the brass?

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Hull doesn't follow the lifter down. Just stops about 1/3 of the way and won't move until I bring the handle up a little, wiggle or rotate the hull, then it will drop. And then everything is fine for a few shells, or quite a few, or one or two.

Live in Vermont.

cap

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might have a broken collet finger, or a piece of shot jammed behind one of the fingers keeping it from opening all the way.

6. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

My 9000 H won't take hulls that have been picked up with a magnet.

Patrick Swartz

7. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

Sell it and buy a Dillon with a lifetime warrenty!

Had prolblems with mec from day one.

Always a charge for any part.

MEC never again.

Tom

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Tom, sorry you didn't have a good experience with MEC, but unless you have a little common sense with things that are mechanical then it may not be the machine for you.

The problems you did have, did you bother to call or ask for help?

Additionally, why does it seem that you are offended that MEC charges for parts? Do you expect stuff given to you for free? Please explain.

I'll tell you right now, there is not one reloader that fits the bill for everyone. But it doesn't make one reloader better than the other. I have said this before, but I will put my reloaded shells up against any other reloader that cost twice as much as my 9000H.

Bryan

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I had a problem with the hulls not dropping and rounding the brass, I called mec. my problem was thst I had greased the tube that drops with the shell. just-sayen

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

11. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i bought a new mec grabber and six months later bought a new automate.
    i had trouble hooking them together and after a couple of phone calls they sent me a prepaid mailing label. two weeks later it returned working perfect for the last year. i could not ask for anything better than that ?

12. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I bought a used 9000 and was having some problems with it so decided to send it off to MEC and have it rebuilt. Great experance and very satified with the end results.

13. Jeebs

Jeebs TS Member

It's a simple fix. The MEC is a really good machine but like ALL (and I mean ALL) presses, it will need a little maintenance from time to time. Your problem is in one of 2 spots, either the collet and assembly need to be cleaned and lubed or maybe there is something hanging up over by the wad guide. I would start with the collet and go from there. There is a pushrod inside the collet that the shell sits on. When you pull the handle down, the pushrod should drop to the bottom of the collet. If it doesn't drop all the way and gets hung up, take a close look and see if it needs to be lubed or if the actuating arm (also connected to the wad guide) is getting stuck. It will be pretty obvious what is going on, but the best move will be to clean and lube everything around that puchrod and collet.

14. djldb6

djldb6 Member

If you get stuck, before giving up all hope I would suggest going on to Shotgunworld.com and look for a guy who posts as Curly-Nohair. He is a MEC savant and has helped me a number of times fix, and learn, how to deal with my 9000H collet issues amongst others. He has some really excellent posts on this issue including pictures on how to tear things apart and fix what needs fixing....which usually simply entails cleaning and lubing.

Dan

15. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

+1 on Curly-NoHair.... he is the best and has helped me out with a few key adjustments on my 9000H.

Also, MEC tech support is really the best.... they listen well and really know their stuff.

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

17. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I sent a MEC9000G back to MEC to have it rebuilt a couple of weeks ago. I bought it used and it did not work. They rebuilt it and returned it to me. Turn around from the date I shipped it until the day it was delivered back to me was 9 days. I live in Florida. It cost me $127 and it works like new. Fast service, and no complaints on my part.

18. saltman

saltman TS Member

I just dropped off a 9000 G i picked up used on Monday @ MEC, they had repaired and ready to be picked up on Tuesday. It was missing a part and they replaced wad collet and my bill was less than $85. It works fantastic, money well spent. Salty

19. schneep

schneep Member

I make an appointment at MEC and drive the 20 miles to them. They fix it while I wait and it has never been over $ 85

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.