1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC electric or hydraulic loader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bkp2024, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Bkp2024

Bkp2024 Member

Looking to upgrade from MEC 8567 grabber to something automatic. Few questions can I modify existing unit into auto. Also what are advantages or disadvantages of electric versus hydraulic. I have electric available in room doing reloading so that shouldn't be an issue. Probably looking to stay with MEC unless there are major advantages to the more expensive brands.

2. thunder

thunder Active Member

I use hydraulic and love the speed of it (con is that you hear the pump run). I tried Automate and didn't like the two hand operation, slower for me (pro is that its quiet).

I have used most of the loaders on the market at one time except Spolar (which to I tried and didn't care for, personal reason). Mec is a very good cost effective loaders. I feel best bang for the buck in hydraulic or electric.

Only other manual reloader which I own is a Dillon and its a keeper also.

3. Bkp2024

Bkp2024 Member

Yea I would think foot operated hydraulic would allow for faster used hull and wad load rather than pressing 2 buttons?

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 4 9000HN. I like the foot pedal the best. It frees up my hands and just make better flow for reloading. I had a Automate. Nice nothing wrong with it for reloading. I just like the foot pedal better.

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I am for the electric, have 3 of them, quiet, portable and reasonably fast. I can load a flat in 15 min. Jakew

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Go with the AutoMate......... Or which ever one you want.

The hydraulic for Mec may be a bit faster, but that's okay. The AutoMate is quiet and you never have to worry about oil leaking out.

I've had my AutoMate since about 2006 and have never had any trouble with it and I load at least 10,000 rounds a year between league shooting and ATA events.

Hauxfan!

7. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I have not used the hydraulic, but have seen it in operation. as others have said it appears a little faster, but louder. I know you can easily adapt the MEC 9000. I dont think you can adapt a Grabber as it is not a full progressive. It doesnt have the mechanism to rotate the shell plate as I recall. I put one on my 9000. Easy enough conversion, and load about 12k to 15k rounds per season. It does well. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the 9000 with the automate already attached. Last time I looked, it was a bit cheaper. Hope this helps.

8. ring3

ring3 Member

I have both, like the automate better. It might be a tic slower but it's quieter and more portable for me. If you decide on Automate get the button cover accessory. Much easier on the thumbs. MEC should provide them with new Automate purchases.

Rob

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The hydraulic has one advantage if you have multiple loaders , with the quick disconnect you can switch from loader to loader and no need to buy multiple power units, cheaper in the long run, I have had 3 hydraulic MECs never any problem with them I hate the PWs had one new and 3 used modlesthe new one was the PW Elite w/short shell holders, always rolling over the crimp due to short dies, the other 2 were 800-Bshard to get powder charges correct and primer installation and primer fips over and jammed.

I will stay with MEC machines presently use the 8567 w/adjustable charge bar, just dial in my powder and shot drops. No more powder Bushings or charge bars

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

With the "Links Kit" for the Automate you can switch loaders out on the Auto-Mate base in 5 minutes or so. Hydraulic changeover might be a smidge faster but the folks at MEC are making it pretty much a moot point whether to go Electrical or Hydraulic. Both systems are good. My experience with their Customer Service department couldn't be better either.

Don T. Littleton CO

11. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Another experience with the two...I have one of each, and after getting tired of the two buttons real fast, I fabricated a foot pedal operation for it and that made a world of difference. Occasionally, I still have timing problems with the Automate due to the magnet slipping in the slotted drive wheel. Pretty much solved that and works reasonably well now.

With the hydraulic, noise notwithstanding, it is smoother in operation and even with the foot pedal on the Automate, the hydraulic is still faster and smoother, and that's leaving time to make sure my hands are out of the way before stepping on it.

In either case, they are so much better than "pulling the handles" as I did for so many years it isn't even worth discussing it. If you are doing anything even close to high volume loading a power unit is the only way to go. The brand and model is up to you. (Yea, MEC)

Larry in Redding

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have arthritis in both thumb/wrist joints. This bar was my first effort and it works great. Faster than the 2 thumbs. When I move away from the machine I turn it off. No probs. I have other designs in mind but this one really works well. And stop with the liability crap. Foot pedal operation is much more prone to having fingers in the mechanism. Not so with this unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bkp2024

Bkp2024 Member

Good idea. Love homemade ingenuity. Much trouble making a foot switch. Seems simple but I think I read somewhere something else won't work with homemade foot switches?

14. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Guys there is a Automate II for sale here, don't have to hold buttons. I am fonder of it than the MEC versio and have repetedly told them so. If someone wants to buy one of my MECs I'll buy the Automate II. Jake

15. John 53

John 53 Member

I may be wrong, but isn't the automate an after market add on that is manufactured by someone other than MEC? If so, when you have a problem and need customer service, who do you call? MEC would be it for the loader and someone else for the automate. You could wind up in a big run-around trying to get things back on track.

I use the 9000H, and can call MEC and straighten out any problems with knowledgeable customer service.

I would stay MEC all the way.

John

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

MEC bought the rights for the Auto Mate from Jim Benn, who made the original. Mec sells and services the newer Auto Mates.

Ajax

17. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I have an original AutoMate bought in 2005 and have never had any reason to need any service on it. MEC has looked it over (somewhat out of curiosity, I would guess) and they have recommended a couple of improvements, which I have done. Nothing to do with the motor, just a strut to improve stability and relieve stress on the reloader itself, along with putting a their style of adapter on the linkage, which I do not like because it's a nylock nut and not a cotter pin to disconnect it to tip the bottles down to empty them or change the charge bar over.

Having never used or owned a hydraulic model, I cannot recommend anything but an electric model. No problem putting out 400 shells/hour or more. Being that I have the original version, I do not have to hold the buttons down until the down stroke is complete. Only to get the cycle started and then reach for the next hull and wad.

Tim

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Jim Benn was still providing service on his models until a few years ago. He sent me a schematic for a friend that had one of his machines. Jim told me his job was going to take him out of the country for a number of years. Haven't heard anything from or about him since? Maybe some else has?

Ajax

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Loaded a flat on my E yesterday afternoon. the wood bar works great. Th red blocks you see are some rather stiff rubber. I did not want the wood to wear on the buttons. So far, no wear, no mistakes, verks good.

20. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Wood bar? Tell us more, Jake

Search tags for this page
electric vs hydralic mec reloaders

mec automate for sale

mec hydraulic reloader problems
used mec automate for sale