1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC custom modifications

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Basically, I am wondering if anyone has modified or attached a hull hopper to a MEC? I know there are other minor modifications you can do to a MEC, but this would seem to be pretty trick if it can be done.

What else have other's done to improve the MEC's functionality?

Bryan

2. Calkidd

I guess not?

Bryan

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bryan--I think most of the time it would be much cheaper and easier to switch to the machines that offer that option. Just my opinion though.

Matt

4. Calkidd

Probably, It was later in the night when I wrote this post. After reading this I kind of figured the MEC would need one extra station to drop the hull in. But I do think it would be pretty trick if a device could be made to drop the hull in the resizer die on the up stroke, but there is a hull already there. DOH, never mind gawd I feel like some of the long winded posters on here that have nothing meaningful to say..

Bryan

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

My primer feed chain would break every so often. I finally put a chain coupler where it hit the primer tray, at the end of the down stroke, and it hardly ever breaks now. I also can use up smaller pieces of older chains. I was loading about 30,000 shells a year then.

I also wax the bottom of the primer tray so the primers slide down easier.Ray

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We have the new style primer tray on a 9000e. Adn twice have allowed a primer to lay on its side and enter the tube drop area. And had to dismantle the tray to extricate the horizontal primer. But now we have a automotive magnet to drag it out if that happens again.

NO shell hoppers for us. We like to inspct the hulls at insertion.

7. Calkidd

MIA, I understand which is best, but inspection can be done while putting them in the hopper.

I am curious how the P/W inserts the hulls into the turret. I have tried to find photos but none of them are large enough to see the details.

Bryan

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I drilled a hole in the bracket that the shot and primer bottles screw to in order to remove the powder bushing without removing the shot bar. Makes bushing change a snap. Did the same thing for a couple buddies and they like it also.Jake

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good idea Jake, thanks for passing it on.

10. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

j2jake do you drill the top and cover the hole with something ? got a photo you could share I like your idea as a matter of fact a person could fix some sort of gromet to plug the hole for saftey precaution without any problem at all.

11. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I bought a used 20ga grabber from Pap Charlie with the holes drilled in the powder bracket, I used 2 quarters to cover the power hole, works great. Joe

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

No need for a plug guys, there is no powder in it. I will post picture next week sometime. The hole is drilled above where the bushing is when the charge bar is to the right. Its a little tricky to get it centered but I used a air grinder to fine tune. Jake

13. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Well I think I disagree -- On my gragger when the charge bar moves to the right some powder is left on top of the bar/bushing due to the snaping action of the bar. I found the quarters keep the powder from sloping out the top.

14. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

j2jake looking forward to seeing the pictures thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.