1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC crimp issues. Please Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loumish, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loumish

Loumish Member

Good day fellow trapshooters

I am hoping someone can help me out with this conundrum! I am having blooming shell issues that I have yet to figure out as to why this is happening and how I can fix this problem. In both cases, I am using 18.5 gr clay dot, waa12sl wads, 1oz shot and winhester primers. My wad pressure is set to MEC recommendations. I am reloading with a MEC Grabber. The picture shows a fiocchi game load hull and an old style AA hull. Both are from the same reload session and both have been sitting verticle for 24 hours.

Please help if you have any input that could change my situation.

NOTE: I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING YOUR OPINIONS OF YOUR HULL, WAD, POWDER, ETC CHOICES UNLESS IT COULD HELP ME OUT.

Thanks for all of your help and support.

Louis

[​IMG]

2. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Looks like to much shot.

Charlie

3. Loumish

Loumish Member

All are 1oz +\- .025 oz. Weighed on a calibrated digital scale as well as 18.5 gr +\- .2 of clay dot.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Did this just start????? Have you changed anything lately--ie wad--powder or shot bushing, hulls do not appear to be loaded too many times. Almost looks like a too tall wad. Ross Puls

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

What Wad are you using. That could be one problem. Secondly go in the Mec Manual and read up on the cam settings. I had a similar problem when I got my press and my problem was the cam.

Chuck

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

How many pounds of wad pressure is on the spring when you seat the wad? Mec recommends just enough to barely move the wad pressure guide. You are also at a max powder drop for Clay Dot. Have you tried a 1-1/8 ounce wad? Looks like too much wad pressure.

Wayne

7. Loumish

Loumish Member

The only thing I changed was the wad itself. I was using a claybuster waa12sl and changed to a winchester AA grey wad. I thought that might be it, so I went back to the claybuster with the same issue. There doesnt seem to be a specific thing that I am doing, since it only happens randomly.

8. Loumish

Loumish Member

The wad pressure bar just moves, as per MECs recommendations. I will work on the cam some more, but it seems that if I adjust it any lower the top of the hull starts to fold over or the bottom starts to bulge out.

9. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I had this problem with my MEC Grabber. How old is the the reloader? The problem I had was the holes were elongated in the joint area of the the loader. That's the area when you pull the handle and the mechanism moves the loader up and down. There are 2 bolts that keep everything together. That area is were it worn out.

George Ware

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Put them back in the final crimp station and pull the handle down 1 or 2 times to recrimp. If it stays down with a recrimp, its a wad problem.
    I thought the grey Winchesters were for 7/8 loads?

Wayne

11. Loumish

Loumish Member

I have tried to recrimp it, and they will still bloom out. As far as the wads, they say 7/8 to 1oz loads. The same item number for claybuster says 1 oz loads. I was curious about that as well. As far as being worn out, it is an older Graber 76. Browning Boy, would you mind posting some pictures of what was worn so I can compare mine? Also, what did you do to fix it? Did you have to send it in?

12. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

This looks like a wad issue.I think you will find that your powder takes up more space.One way to see is use a aa12 wad,1+1/8,and see if it stays down.The wad is there to seperate the powder from the shot no big mystery.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd adjust the crimp depth a tad deeper, adjust the final crimp to round the edges a lil more. That should solve your tall wad problem.

Hap

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

It looks to me like a classic too much stuff in the hull, compressing the wad a bit. Later, the wad returns to its normal length and the crimp pooches out. As suggested, try using the white WAA12 wad as the only change in your recipe.

15. tic-toc

tic-toc TS Member

I would think your problem would be the wad or pre/crimp or crimp itself. If I was you and still didn't get satisfaction I would go to Shotgunworld.com and look @ the reloading site, the guys on there should be able to solve your problem without much trouble.Al W

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It's probably your wad. The 7/8 oz grey wad cup is too small for 1 oz of shot. your final crimp is compressing the wad, and then later it pops back up and opens the crimp. Had the same problem

If you can get some Downrange DRA-12 1oz wads, they work great. They are slightly shorter than standard 1oz AA wads and work great in the new AAHS hulls.

17. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

Are the Hulls GA or HS. The Wad could be hanging up on the cup in the base of the hull giving you false wad preasure reading and wad column set up(the problem at hand). Be sure the Wad and the Hull are compatable. All AA wads and AA hulls are not alike.
    Mark

18. KooJo

KooJo Member

I had this problem, take the crimping die apart and clean it I found a piece of plastic it . I clean it real good and it solve the problem. Also check for nuts and bolts that need to be tighten up. Good Luck.

19. oletymer

oletymer Member

Use the down range dra1 red wad and your problem will be solved, I did this for the same problem. It is a one ounce wad that shorter in length than what you are using.

20. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Had the same issue with new style AA hulls only and solved it by using one wad size higher - if loading 7/8 oz I used 1oz and if loading 1oz used 1 1/8oz and if loading 1 1/8 oz used 1 1/4 oz wad.

Regards

W&W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec grabber crimp to deep