1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Mec collet still noisy on upstroke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Isolated the noise to be involved with the resizer by removing all shells and testing with just one empty hull. If I don't go all the way down with the handle, it doesn't make the noise. I have to go that last little bit on the down stroke to get the noise on the upstroke. It's like a banging noise. Things are really bound up and not letting go.

I've greased the outside of the collet and oiled the other pivot points as shown in the manual. Didn't fix it.

Collet fingers are not broken.

Anyone have experience with this specific issue? It's lesser if I loosen the resizing nut, but if I go that way, it won't resize enough.

Thanks,

Joe
  2. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I had a problem with the handle sticking on the up stroke. When I called mec they said to pull the resizer apart from the base of the press and use copper anti-seize between the collar and the press body. You might try that. I pull it apart every serval thousand rounds and it works great. If you run into a problem call MEC they are great and can talk you though it on the phone.

Dave
  3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Ah, between the collar and the press body. I bet that's it. I'll try that. Thanks.
  4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Just followed the directions in the manual for taking the collet out. They kind of missed a step: take a pliers and turn the collet counter clock wise until it is all the way out of the threaded base.

I think I found the bind point. You can see it in the center of the picture. Copper anti-seize right there. That must be what you mean. I don't happen to have any, but will look for it at the hardware store.

Thanks for the help.

joekuhn_2008_030370.jpg
  5. goony

goony Member

You can pick a small package of at any auto parts store for about a dollar. It's used when doing disc brake jobs.
  6. dgh

dgh Active Member

you can use either the silver or the copper base compound,, when you apply it a LITTLE will go a LONG way. you can make every thing messy if you apply too much,

DGH
  7. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Active Member Supporting Vendor

If your collet is slaming open on the up stroke it's likely that the fingers are adjusted too tightly when the shell is resized. Open the collet up about a turn and see if this cures the problem. If not another turn open. You really don't need all that much resizing. After all how many times have you just picked a hull from the ground and chambered it?
    Mike Battista
  8. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Looks like you didn't have the flat lined up. This is a must.
  9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Ah hah. Several things to check when I put it back together after applying some anti-seize from the nearby auto parts store.

Thanks fellas.

Joe
  10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

I sometimes get a clicking noise on the down stroke seating RIO Primers into the smaller 209 primer holes especially on the steel based hulls, I could see the primer seating base jump up and hear the click.

Gary
  11. frostyman

frostyman Member

Like 687 SP II said above. From the picture it looks like you did not have the flat part of the outside of the collet lined up. It looks like you needed to rotate the outside of the collet about a quarter to a half of an inch. It is the piece on the lower left of your picture that is six sided. One of the 6 flat sides has to be next to the loader.
  12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I would have expected a thinner groove on the side of the machine if that had been the case. Will certainly check when re-installing. I was fiddling with that nut and must have left it that way.
  13. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I think your on the right track
  14. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Member

Joe: Check out this link

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=148737

and thank Curly @ shotgunworld.com
  15. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

I had a similar annoyance on an older Sizemaster. I ended up tearing down the whole resizing section and cleaning it (soaked in Prolix overnight). Found a smashed piece of lead wedged down deep between two of the fingers.

Larry
  16. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I put a little tiny bead of the anti-seize lubricant on both parts. We'll see how it works now...

Before:

joekuhn_2008_030370.jpg

After:

joekuhn_2008_030371.jpg
  17. dhip

dhip Active Member

have the same problem,thanks for the insight,

Doug H.
  18. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

It works like a new machine. Wow. Thanks for the tip. I didn't change the position of the nut, but there's no real way to know what it's doing now in terms of resizing without a caliper which I don't have. I took an empty from my once-fired pile and it fits just fine in my 870 bbl after the resize step.
  19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I tightened down the resizer two notches and still no problem after applying the anti-seize lube. I wonder now if I could have gotten some of this good stuff in the right place with a tooth pick and avoided having to take it apart (Answer is yes after trying on second machine). It sure needed a cleaning though. That had to help too. Hey Larry.

My other 9000, which I use to load steel shot shells, doesn't have the same problem as this one. I wonder if this is a problem with some of the 9000 production runs from the factory. Serial number is R303010000257659 on the machine that has the problem. My other machine, that doesn't have the problem, doesn't have a serial number tag.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.