1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec collet resizer fix

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Shells were not falling all the way down into the resizer and were mushrooming if I forced it. Discovered I could back the handle off a little, wiggle the shell and it would fall all the way down so I could continue. Happened on about 1 out of 3 shells.

There were 2 pieces of shot between a collet finger and the plate the shells ride around on. I've had shot get down inside, but up on top, this is new. Couldn't see the shot until I watched for it as the shells rotated.

Easy fix. Thought I'd pass it on.

Joe

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Happens regularly. Really more of an issue in 410 and 28 ga than 12 or 20.

That's the number one thing I check when a hull fails to drop to the bottom of the collet at the first station.

3. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Joe, I went all the way and removed the collet. Left the fingers. Shells are fire formed in my gun, so no need to re size. This mod working fine for the last 3 years.

The problem was not shot between the fingers. It was the fingers not springing back far enough to let the shell drop all the way down. The collet would close the fingers but the fingers would not open when the collet went back down. Result was the crushed base of the shell.

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I would guess that the loader is just a tad out of time, probably too far ahead. It doesn't take much.........GOOD LUCK

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

"It was the fingers not springing back far enough to let the shell drop all the way down."

Good description.

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I made a wooden jig to spread the collet fingers back out and held it in place overnight with a large C-clamp (brake job size will do). Actually a deep socket of the correct dimensions will work also. This then allows the hull to drop into the collet correctly. I've used this successfully on three 9000G's. MEC simply relaces the collet, but that's about $45.

Good luck,

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.