1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Charge Bars

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I tried to look up on MEC's site for a place to contact them and couldn't find one to ask a question. As much size difference that there is in MES's powder bushings I was wondering about the shot side of the bar. Granted its not that critical obviously since they're fractional, ie. 1 oz, 1 1/8 oz. with no regard for shot size and in actuality not weight either as the more expensive reloaders are. My question is: does anyone know what the ID of the various bars are SUPPOSED to be? Does anyone have a reloader that has bar/inserts for different size shot for the various loads and would be able to accurately measure them or perhaps be able to copy a manual/chart and send it to me?

I would fully expect to reimburse you for your expenses. Thanks, Dave

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, That is why there is a adj. charge bar made for both types of charge bars that Mec makes!!! I have never seen any shot bushings made for any Mec. I do bore out all my charge bars for the correct drops with the shot size that I use. I have to do this to all my Mec charge bars. Once done they are great and never change. Unlike the adj. ones that may open or close if set screw becomes loose. They will more than likely never move on there own. But you have to remember Mec's bars all run a little light even for #9 shot that is chilled, which will weigh the most in the volume of the hole. Now that most of use us high antimony shot and is sizes over #9's, you just need to grind out the hole at bit. As far as the powder bushings go, I never ream them out. If I need a bit more I just coat the hole bushing with a coat of finger nail polish. The difference in most Mec powder bushings is about 6/l0 of grain with most powders, If you use nail polish you can bring down the volume by 3/l0's of a grain which is a perfect split. You can always bring them back to normal with some nail polish remover. You can adj. the coats very thin or two very thin to get whatever you want, and never damage the bushing. Hope this Helps you out and Break-em all. JEff

3. FLIP

FLIP Member

i have been told the bars are made for #8 shot loading by volume it will make a diferance with shot size ,most are light,the id # are for witch machine they fit

4. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

I just bought a 1 oz. Skeet bar, which is supposed to throw exactly 1 oz of #9 shot. That may be true of pure lead shot, but mine throws 416 grains of hard #9 shot.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

5. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I bored out the shot side of my charge bar for MEC bushings for my .410, 28, and 20 guage so I can use bushings and bore them out to adjust for the amount of shot dropped. That way I can use one bar for each press and adjust the bushing diameters. This only works up to a 7/8 oz drop as the bushing wall thickness gets too thin.
    Hey, I know it is not very cost effective but I am retired and have a machine shop in my basement.
    It is much easier to throw a bushing in the lathe to bore it out than setting up a boring head to cut the charge bars every time I want to change the drop.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec charge bar dosnt throw correct shot charge

my mec charge bar does not have the silicone cutout

too much shot dropped in mec charge bar