1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Charge Bars

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 687_SP_II, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Does anyone know what the difference is between the regular shot charge bars and the skeet special shot charge bars?

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Note To Skeet Shooters

When using soft #9 shot with our standard bar, it is possible that your charge weight will exceed that which is allowed by the NSSA. By using our “SKEET SPECIAL” charge bar, you will stay within the limits set by the NSSA.

Never been to a shoot where shot was weighed. Be surprissed if clubs even have a scale at a shoot for that purpose. Did hear of a challenge many years back at a major shoot but don't remember what came of it.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They are really unnecessary. Std MEC bars always need to be opened to throw the correct amount of shot anyways. I supposed you might run into trouble if you're shooting PURE lead shot, but since that doesn't exist, its not an issue. I had to take quite a bit out of a 7/8oz bar a couple weeks ago to get it to throw the correct amount.

NSSA does have well defined maximum shot charges in grains (currently 3% over the exact drop). Chances are very slim that your shells will ever be weighed (even if someone were to challenge your shells, there is no procedure in place to weigh the shells), but for me it comes down to personal pride knowing that I operated within the confines of the rules. I'm sure there are shooters out there who are less concerned with the rules, jam as much shot in their shells as they can hold, and win at any cost. For them, their accomplishments are forever tainted.

4. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

How do you open a MEC bar up?
    Alan

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Small brake hone or dingle berry hone.

6. skeet_man

Tapered reamer. You can get a pair (one for powder, one for shot) on ebay for less than 10 bucks. Harbor freight also has one that would be the right size for powder bushings, but too small for shot.

7. open choke

open choke TS Member

Skeet man...

Do you have a item number or link to the ones harbor freight tools sells.

My store has been out of round files but I never saw any tapered ones ever

8. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Do you ream the top or bottom of the bar? (since the reamer is tapered)
    What about the soft insert part?
    Powder bushings have not ben a problem as I have a full selection.
    Thanks,
    Alan

9. skeet_man

http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html

Ream from the bottom.

10. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Why ream from the bottom rather than the top? Not arguing...just would like
    to know why one over the other?

Also why a reamer over a hone that makes the hole the same size top and bottom....just larger in diameter?

Thanks..Stan

11. skeet_man

There is no way to ream a mec bar from the top, since it has the rubber insert. Other than that, it probably doesn't matter, but its the way I've always done it.

An adjustable reamer (a hone simply polishes, you need a reamer if you want to remove any real quantity of material) would be exponentially more expensive than a $10 set of tapered reamers from ebay.

12. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Thanks skeet man...

I have been considering the honing/reaming method for some time now, even though I have adjustable charge bars on all my 650 progressive loaders.

It takes time to try different recipes on all trial loads...so the universal charge bar is handy for that. But once I really get a universal bar dialed in...I hate to change it...so I keep buying more of them.

NOW...after I decide what I want for a particular purpose...I would like to go to the trouble to fix a permanent bar and be done with it.

Having been a career mechanic...I just haven't seen a really good/professional way to resize solid bars.....hence the question.

I was thinking a drill press with a flexible emory cloth bit would be as good as any...again I haven't tried anything yet. A brake hone sounded OK till you mentioned the rubber washer...which also wouldn't work too well with emory cloth (maybe?).

Anyway thanks again for the reply..

Best regards..Stan

13. open choke

open choke TS Member

Skeet man

I finally got the reamer. Thanks for the item number.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

What i did was turn bar up side down then set your drill press to drill only half way through.Start with a drill 1/64 larger than current hole.Take you time, drill one and try It on your machine. If still light drops go a 64th.larger. Done sveral this way and works great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.