1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC CHARGE BARS WEIGH LIGHT WITH LARGE SHOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I SHOOT A LOT OF #5 & 6 shot for the games. The 1-1/4 or larger bar comes up quite a lot light. How do you correct this for the correct weight? Clyde

2. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I use a dremel tool with a course sanding wheel. Check it often until you get to the weight you want,

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Clyde, you're probably using Mag. lead, which will weigh lighter. Take the bar out, and use a rat tail file, or round file, and file out from the bottom side of bar. Check your weight often to be sure you don't go to far with the weight you want to achieve.

David McMillen

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've used a small wheel cylinder hone to enlarge the hole sufficiently to drop the desired amount of shot. make sure to check the drop amount often as you enlarge the hole. It won't take much to go from dropping 1 1/8oz to 1 1/4oz.

Make sure to mark the charge bar when you modify it.

ss

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I use a step bit in my drill. Works great and it's quick also

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

They've always weighed light with 7 1/2s and 8s too. The 118 bars are a lot closer to 1 1/16ths. Dremel works good. Do it from the top. If you over-do it, get out the nail polish or packing tape. Good luck.

7. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I use the adjustable bars for that reason. No messing with bushings for each lot of powder,etc. Good Luck, Tim

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bars and bushings are designed to throw "chilled lead", substituting high antimony lead weighs less so they throw less. If you modify a bar or bushing then buy some soft chilled shot, you may exceed the weight limit or create higher pressures!

Hap

9. Habib

Habib Member

Opening the shot bushings changes the volume and invites trouble. Loading components are geared to a specific volume not weight.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Habib, you sure bout thet?

Hap

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I get the same issues with Hornady bushings... if I'm using a 1-1/8oz bushing for 8s and I load up 7-1/2s, it'll throw lighter, lack of packing increases air spaces...

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.