1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec charge bar?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

What is your experience with the adjustable Mec charge bar? For the powder drop? Butch H

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I tried them on both my single and progressive MEC's. I haven't used them in years. I'll throw the powder baffels in there also. I was sort of talked into them. Sucker I guess. That said, I know guys who have been using them for years. To each his own.

I use Green Dot, Red Dot, 20/28 and Clays. My bushings work fine and my reloads have worked great for years.

3. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I started using the adjustable bar last year, it is ok but kind of tricky to get just right. Before I bought the adjustable bar I drilled a hole in the chrome bar holder. That way I could just remove and replace a bushing without tipping the bottles. I think I liked the old way better.

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I had it on my old 761 worked perfectly fine. I kept a record of my settings for powder and it was ususally dead on even after adjusting it. I just find that the MEC bushings work just as well.

5. texasbilly

texasbilly Member

I reload shotshells in 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, 28ga, and 410bore. All my reloaders are MEC Grabbers except the 410bore (600 JR). I use the Universal adjustable bar in all except the 410 reloader. I like the versatility that I get with the adjustment that I can't get with the bushings. They are worth their cost.

Here are some things that I learned about their use. 1. Every time you make an adjustment, throw several charges to insure that you are getting an accurate reading (same as a bushing). 2. Use an accurate powder scale to measure the weight of the charges. 3. Check the weight of the powder charges periodically during the time you are reloading, and make small adjustment as needed. 4. The Universal adjustable bar is reliable and accurate for every guage except 410bore.

tex

6. gordy h

gordy h Member

Spanky, did you want to sell it ? I'll go the sucker way and give it a try.
    Butcxh H

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have used one for a lot of years. Can't imagine reloading without it.

Hauxfan!

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The adjustable charge bar is quite an improvement as long as you understand that there is some lash (slop) in the threads the adjusting knob runs on. What this means is, that whenever you have overadjusted and need to dial the bar back the other way, turning the knob will have no effect on the drop until the lash (slop) has been taken up in the threads. When you attempt to set the bar, you need to approach your desired weight slowly.

Another advantage is, once you've established a rhythm loading shells, you can check the powder amount it's throwing and make tiny adjustments on the fly, if needed.

The important thing, no matter what you decide, is to weigh everything, shot and powder. Unless you have bar that is adjustable or has shot bushings, the amount of shot thrown is likely on the light side of what is stated. The 118 MEC bars are notorious for throwing 1 1/16 oz of shot. Good luck.

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

The Universal Charge Bar for Mec is the “GREATEST” thing that one can do for a Mec.

I have two adjustable charge bars. One set up for one ounce the other for one and one-eight ounce.

I’ve been using the Universal Charge Bar since July of 02 and would not be without them!

I have a Mec Grabber. The adjustable charge bars works GREAT on this loader. The Grabber and the 9000 are basically the same loader. The 9000 is an upgrade that has auto indexing and shell eject.

The adjustable charge bars can be contrary to work with. I found that to tweak or fine-tune the powder drops, turn the knob BACK, than in small increments turn it forward until you obtain what your want. You really must have an electronic scale to set up the adjustable charge bar.

My powder drops stay within +/- .2 grains. It is important to "BUMP" the handle of the loader on the down stroke the same every time. Yes, I understand that it is not humanly possible to get each pull the same. However, make every effort to get the "BUMP" on the pull down the same, your powder drops will be more constant.

Frank

10. gordy h

gordy h Member

How much with shipping? PS I forgot to ask is it for a progressive I have a 9000G Thanks Butch H

11. 2shot

2shot Member

Ivote with Spanky.I have one that came on a like new 9000 I bought.If I had to use it I would quit relading.$25 and I"ll give it a new home. Its complete.

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

If you change powders/loads a lot,they are great. I only have a 2 loads for the 12,so for that,no.

13. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I use one on my 600jr, have for 15 years, works great. I like to work up loads on this machine before I change bushings on my grabber. For the past few years though I use just one load so I never change bushings. The 600jr is now just used to load hunting loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.