1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Bushings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikiet, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikiet

mikiet TS Member

I'm in the middle of changing from International Clays to Alliant e3 and want to maintain the same 1200 or so fps. International Clays published recipe calls out about 20.5 grains (#31 bushing). Alliant e3 published calls out 17.4. The MEC bushing for International is a 31, the e3 calls out a 28. The 28 only get me 15 grains, so I work up from 28 and I finally get to 32 to find out it provides me the 17.4 I'm looking for. I can't seem to understand why the recipe or the chart doesn't match. If anyone has an explanation, I love to hear it.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Those charts are only a starting point. Its that simple. There is no way they could make it precise. Every container of powder I've ever loaded weighs slightly different even and often with matching batch numbers. This is why it is so important to weigh everything.

3. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

My MEC bushings run at least 3 or 4 bushings different from the charts. I am loading Red Dot. It could be the humimdity or just the particle size. I am also using a powder baffel, I was told that this would also make the bushing drop lighter.
    I have a lab balance that weighs down to the mg, so I am pretty confident my weights are close. I know I can ream out the bushings, I prefer to switch out bushings.

Todd

4. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Also, you will get a bit closer to the chart numbers if you are loading on a single stage press. Probably related to five handle strokes with the powder bushing sitting under the bottle before you drop the next charge.

5. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

My bushings are different on my mec also. I always use a scale with each can of powder. I have noticed if the chart calls for a 29 I use 30 or 31 to start.. instead of using the baffle on the powder bottle I changed out the small short bottle for the tall bottle and it has worked out fine.
    Dave

6. mikiet

mikiet TS Member

Thanks for your input. Up until now I have never had that experience, however I check loads consistently every 50 shell or so. Never seen this before, most all of the reloads I've made come out exactly within a couple of tenth of a grain with the bushing it calls for.
    Again, thanks for the input.

7. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Using a MEC 650, I check (via my RCBS scale) every lot of Red Dot and Green Dot powders. That's my starting point. For light loads of Red Dot powder I had to hone out the no. 29 bushing(s) in order to get my desired drop. I also use a powder baffle which affects the drop usually on the lighter side. I believe you'll find that the bushings are overstated on the chart slightly or at least it seems to be that way using a progressive MEC loader. BT100dc

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Think scale, scale, scale. Always

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If someone is using a single press like a 600 jr, during operation, the press is being stroked 5 times between each powder drop. This packs the powder a noticable amount. A progressive is making a powder drop every stroke of the handle, so the powder is not packed. I have both kinds of press and the actual bushing I use as checked on a scale is different one each press. I'll bet you will find powder weight is a lot closer to the bushing chart if you stroke the press handle 5 times.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember askin' one guy on our league team what he usually did to get the reload the way he wanted. He was using an old 600 Jr I had loaned him. He said, "I just put an extra pinch of powder and shot in each one." I was always glad he was two posts over whenever we shot.

Bob Falfa

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have been using the adjustable bar on my mec 6000 G. You can get your powder & shot weights right on the nose.
    Clyde

12. mission6222

mission6222 Member

buy a charge bar, dump the bushings& charge bars. (sell them to some one that does not know there is a better way to weigh your loads)

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"buy a charge bar, dump the bushings& charge bars"

Am I the only one confused on this one?

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Adjustable bars work fine for me.

If you modify a bushing be sure and grind off the number so some fool down the line doesn't have a problem.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.