1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec bushing with Red Dot powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mahrbeezer, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Im loading with a mec 9000g, I use red dot powder and im looking to drop 18 grains. I had to go up to #33 bushing to get 18 grains. I get mixed loads from 17.7 to 18.1. It seems when the powder bottle gets low it drops inconsistent loads. When its full, its pretty much the same every pull. I know im going to hear "dont let it get low". With that being said, does a 33 bushing seem to be a large bushing for only 18 grains and has anyone had inconsistent loads when the powder gets low? When i say low i dont mean running out, just low. I pull the handle the same way every time.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Do you not only stroke the loader "the same every time" but also hold the bottom of the stroke for a 2 count permitting the powder to fill the bushing? Is the sliding bar making all the way to the left and back each time? If so, it should be +/- .2 of a grain from your target. Right now you're +/- .2 of a grain from 17.9 grains and I'll guess you'll never tell the difference from one to the next or individual, hand weighed shells were you to be that much a perfectionist. If your scale is accurate and you're confident in it, I'd say #33 bushing must be just about right. If you're not sure, weigh some hand gun or rifle bullets of a known weight and see just how accurate your scale is.....Bob Dodd

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I get about 18 grains of Red Dot, depending on the lot of powder with that same size 33 bushing. I get better consistency when I keep the bottle at least half full and hold the handle down at the bottom of it's travel for a second or two. That allows the powder to fill the bushing. Keeping the powder bottle half full or better is a no brainer. I fill it up after every 100 shells or so, or use the larger bottle and fill every 200. Powder baffles have never worked better at all and add one more thing to give you grief.

4. Holypatterns

Holypatterns TS Member

my #33 charge bar drops an average of 18.4 grains of Red Dot with powder level nearly empty, say one-fourth full. I don't change anything even when it is lower than that, since the drift is very small. I am using a powder baffle and am convinced that it helps in uniform loading.

But by all means weigh charges and change charge bars if necessary when you purchase a new lot of powder...you may well find a difference in weights thrown due to difference in bulk density.

5. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

The reason im asking is i just bought the mec 9000 a few months ago after loading many years on a 650. The 650 i had dropped about 19 grains with a 33 bushing. I bought it used so the bushing might have been honed out. I feel better now knowing that others agree 18 grains with a 33 is the norm. Also, i do hold down the handle until i hear all the shot drop then i release. The shot bar is going to its full travel point. Im going to put the large bottle on from my other machine and never let it get below half way. Thanks for the help guys!!

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have a hydraulic 9000 and it drops about 18.8 gr of Red Dot with the #33 bushing. Went to the #32 bushing for Promo and got 18.4 gr.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Both #33 bushings and 18+ grains of Red Dot sound like _way_ too much for me. I never get much above 29. This was about 19 grains and I sure wouldn't want to nudge up against this, pressurewise.

[​IMG]

Neil

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

MEC bushings will come a little closer to dropping their advertised amount of powder when they are used in a single stage press.

The reason is because in a single stage press, the handle goes up and down 6 times for each shell/powder drop.

This settles the powder in the bushing a lot better than when used in a progressive where the handle goes up and down 1 time per shell.

Use the bushing that it takes to get the powder charge you want.....use a good scale and check it out.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

MEC Instructions say, CHECK YOUR DROPS WITH A SCALE!!!!!

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Neil, I'm loading it with 7/8 oz shot.

Flincher: typical liberal comment that denies any personal responsibility for subsequent users....

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

My 32 Bushing with the MEC 9000G gives me 18.2 grains of Red Dot.

Again, check your drops with a good scale.

12. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I use a 33 bushing with my 9000G and Red Dot, hold the handle at the bottom of the stroke for a count of two, and I still only get about 17.1 gr (+/- .2) of powder.

I tried a 34 bushing and it drops about 18.6 grains of Red Dot.

My procedure is to weigh every fifth charge, and I use a Dillon Terminator scale.

Another oddity is that Nitro 27 hulls seem to hold a lot of static, and the grains of powder really stick to the sides of the hull when I test. It seems I don't have this problem with Gun Club or Win AA hulls.

Best,
    Dennis

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Have you verified your scale is weighing correctly? After reading some of the amounts dropped here with various numbered bushings, I had to double check my scales. Mine was within plus one tenth to minus one tenth grain with everything I threw in the pan. Known weights. Hap

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had some wide variations betwen different lots of Red Dot over the last few years. It seems like there was a period of time where Red Dot and Green Dot were affected. It made almost a full bushing size difference in drops. Get a good scale and USE it!

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

My 32 Bushing with the MEC 9000G gives me 18.2 grains of Red Dot.

Again, check your drops with a good scale.

16. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I use a 33 bushing with my 9000G and Red Dot, hold the handle at the bottom of the stroke for a count of two, and I still only get about 17.1 gr (+/- .2) of powder.

I tried a 34 bushing and it drops about 18.6 grains of Red Dot.

My procedure is to weigh every fifth charge, and I use a Dillon Terminator scale.

Another oddity is that Nitro 27 hulls seem to hold a lot of static, and the grains of powder really stick to the sides of the hull when I test. It seems I don't have this problem with Gun Club or Win AA hulls.

Best,
    Dennis

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Have you verified your scale is weighing correctly? After reading some of the amounts dropped here with various numbered bushings, I had to double check my scales. Mine was within plus one tenth to minus one tenth grain with everything I threw in the pan. Known weights. Hap

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had some wide variations betwen different lots of Red Dot over the last few years. It seems like there was a period of time where Red Dot and Green Dot were affected. It made almost a full bushing size difference in drops. Get a good scale and USE it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec bushing chart for red dot powder

mec bushing for red dot
mec bushing red dot

mec bushings red dot

mec powder bushing chart red dot

mec reloading data for red dot powder

mecbushingchartredot

shot bushing for red dot powder