1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC bushing question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by waverider, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Yes, my experience with MEC bushings and Alliant's Red Dot. I get 16.7 gr of Red Dot +- 0.4 gr with my 31 bushing.

With Hodgdon's Clays the drops are within a tenth of a grain of Hodgdon's charts and International is usually within couple of tenths of what the Hodgdon's charts says.

Jason

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Mec bushings are intentionally a little light.

Many folks whomp up a load, and without a scale, maybe go up a bushing or two, for "extra punch". This clueless loader will still be safe, in spite of himself.

Shot bars are often a little light, as well.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

gmag:

Mec bushings may be used in a single stage OR a progressive loader. Mec doesn't know in which type it will be installed so their powder charts are based on single stage applications.

It matters because the extra shaking from five or six handle pulls per loaded bullet with a single stage packs the powder somewhat. If powder charts were based progressives, people using single stage loaders would get heavy charges. Guys with progressives usually need to go a bushing or two heavier than charts indicate.

Of course, there is also variation between different lots of the same powder. Sometimes it is significant variation.

The bottom line? Charts are a rough guide. That's why every reputable source of loading data says to use a scale. So... all you guys loading without a scale, get one and use it. Pretty please.

sissy

4. willing

willing Member

The powder manu charts for Mec loaders are usally more accurate than Mec's.
    Be sure to use a scale to verify.

Bill

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

Sissy,

i even understood your explanation and its right on the money. i usually have to cycle thru 1-3 powder drops before my pw 800 and 2000 will settle in, if i load only 1 shell the drop is always "heavy"

Bill

6. crk

crk Member

on my progressives, I am almost always two bushings up from the "charts" to get the weight I need based on a scale.

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

International Clays through MEC bushings is extremely consistent; session to session, lot to lot, year to year. At least in my experience. As to what the charts say; well that's just a starting point and you've got to weigh to confirm what you are actually loading. I do every time I change bars and/or bushings. That said, it is my contention (and experience) that as long as you are on the low end of the recommended powder weight range, a small variation in weight, say 0.3 grains, is inconsequential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.