1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Bushing Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Does anyone have any tricks to decrease the inside diameter of a Mec powder bushing to decrease the powder charge? Thanks. Mike.

2. jrton80

jrton80 Member

If you are looking to decrease very slightly, I had a friend that painted finger nail polish on the inside of his bushings. Seemed to work for him. Jeff Rickert

3. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

I use a small piece of black electrical tape,
    also clean the inside surface with alcohol to insure tape stays stuck. In 20+years of doing this I have never had the tape come loose.

Ron

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

As inexpensive as MEC bushings are, it might save time and frustration to simply buy a couple of smaller ones. Just a suggestion. Regards, Ed

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I second the fingernail polish. Sandpaper and a dowel will open them up a bit if they are too small.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Tape may come off.

I buy bushings when they are on sale, and open up the next smallest size if it is critical. I am too impatient to wait for nail polish to dry. Most of my loads are on the low end so I accept a variation of .3 grains as acceptable.

When loading high pressure 28 ga or 3" 20 ga, I use an RCBS Chargemaster and every charge is metered. For the couple of boxes a year I may use, I use a PW375 and do not drop powder.

Don Verna

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've been using adjustable bars since sometime in the 70s and would never go back.......breakemall

8. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Why take the chance of having the polish erode away or the tape coming loose. The price of another bushing is not that much to be worth the risk. Get a narrow plumbers reamer go slow and weigh often. D Winter

9. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for the help. Mike.

10. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Aluminum tape works well and sticks like no other

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, I use the finger nail polish and it will not wear away with powder charges. As most of Mec's bushing change around .6 tens of a grain of powder for each # up or down, its easy to apply one coat of polish or l l/3, or l 2/3 coats to get what you need if you go up one bushing. This way you can always remove the polish and still have a unchanged bushing if you switch powders a few years from now. Nail polish dries in like less time than a trip to the bathroom so waiting is not a problem for most of us. LOL. break em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec bushing finger nail polish