1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec bushing for Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I just swapped over from Hornady to MEC and well I would like to stay with my pet load I am not sure how to convert it to which bushing to use. I would like to drop 17.5 but 29s light and 30s to heavy. atleast by my scale. I used to use a 429 in the Hornady

Any Ideas???

Jerry

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You need to weigh charges. Promo varies greatly in volume from lot to lot.

3. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

You can put fingernail polish in the 30 to downsize it some, just make sure it is dry and you can build it up with several coats.

Scott

4. tammike

tammike Member

I would just drill out the smaller one.

5. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Jerry, what did your scale show for the two bushings?

Charlie

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

29 dumped 16.3gr amd 30 dumped 18.7gr

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure of your shot load, but I run 7/8 ounce of lead over 16.5 of Promo.

Gives a great shooting load with VERY mild recoil.

If you do want the heavier load then incrementally drill out a smaller bushing. Using tape or nail polish inside is fine, but if it ever falls off you will be loading a heavier charge without realizing it (unless you do a weight check fairly often).

8. WTW

WTW Member

Bustishooter, I just weighed my 29-30 and 31 bushings. The 29 and 30 bushing both droped 16.3 and the 31 droped 17.2. I weighed 6 shells with each bushing to make sure and they were all with in a tenth of each other. Sorry, I know this didn't help, but I learned something.

Ted

9. ring3

ring3 Member

A difference of 2.4 grains between #29 and 30 seems like a lot. My new bushings are usually within a half or three quarters of a grain.

I use aluminum tape to fine tune my bushings drops down slightly.

I would suggest rechecking your bushings drops. If your results are the same try a couple of new (or borrowed) bushings to verify yours are not modified or defective. Then you could modify using one of the methods mentioned.

I just bought and am experimenting with an adjustable bar. So far it works great and I'm pleased with it.

Good luck. Rob

10. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

Good lord. 2.4 grains of difference between the 29 and the 30? Maybe you should check those numbers again. Hehe. Anyways, you could file out the inside of the low bushing until you get your desired drop and ALWAYS weigh your drops at the start of each reloading session. Load by weight, and don't trust the bushings. -Aaron Schneider

11. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Are you saying that your Hornady 429 bushing always dropped 17.5 gr of Promo in the past?

How many kegs of Promo have you used to date?

I've gone through seven 8lb'ers and have never used the same bushing for the same load two jugs in a row. But I have a handful of modified MEC bushings so dialing in is easy.

Also, I agree with those above, I've never saw a 2.4 gr variance on stock, consecutive numbered MEC bushings with Promo.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Thats to much difference in drop weight between a 29 & 30. You may want to check your scale.

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I cleaned out the number 29 bushing with fine sandpaper,got it to drop 17.3-17.6 in there. I am on my 6th keg of Promo and I used that bushing so as if it was lil heavy I was still in safe zone, lil light it will still break clays!

I had started to paint that 30 with nail polish this morning, and thought long and hard at work about it.

So now I have weighed up 6 shells gunna go load they ought to be pretty close to same now.

Thanks all

Jerry

14. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I like that result with number 29 bushing much better now. Good job!

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 31 bushing for promo

mec bushings and promo

promo powder mec bushings