1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Automatic Primer Feed!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

MEC builds great machines and all...but the automatic primer feed has got to be one of the worst designs I've seen. On my MEC 650, I've sat and fiddled with that darn thing and I can't get it to consistently drop primers right, sometimes they'll hit right on the hole and other times it will completely miss it and fall off the machine. After messing with it for an hour and a half, I figured it was time I come up and ask for some wisdom from some of you, to see if I can solve this problem. So, my question is, HOW DO I GET IT TO DROP PRIMERS RIGHT?!?!

I'm using CCI primers if that means anything. Thanks.

-Jollytrapshooter

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

The metal one.

-Jollytrapshooter

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well 687EELL, I tried your idea and I'm positive it would work if I could just figure out a way to keep it in the same place and not move around and come loose again. If I can't figure this stupid thing out, I'm just going to spend the $70 on the new bigger primer tray and be done with it. I can load faster just by taking the automatic primer feed off and put them on by hand, at least I don't have to stop and rearrange the primer that way...

-Jollytrapshooter

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Then you might want to try their new primer delivery system. It has been out for over a year now and I think it cost about $65.00. But, if you get the old one set right, it will do just fine. John

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

junk the metel and get the new one,,,went from 200 rnds an hr to 300 with no drop in quality with a mec 650,,,because of good primer drops,,,time includes boxing,,,400 on a real good hr,,,,with my 9000H its the only way to fly,,,,the metel will make you nuts

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

are you using the black plastic tray or the metel one

7. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Grafs and sons just came out with a flyer and the new primer feed is in there on sale for $25.99 I would guess the postage would be extra. alex

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Loosen the bolt and push it all the way into the slot. Then tighten the bolt while keeping some pressure on it so it stays all the way in the slot. Now comes the tricky part, you have to bend the bracket so the bottom of the tube lines up with the hole in the plate when the down stroke is complete. I use an open end wrench to bend it, you also need the bottom of the tube to clear the plate by about a 1/16 inch. Last but not least you have to adjust the timing by moving the balls on the little chain so the primer is released at the bottom of the stroke. HMB

9. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Get the new primer tray. You can fiddle with the old one forever OR you can quit watching the primer drop with the new one. Follow the directions when you adjust the new one-very important (or you can be like me and finally read the directions after you are frustrated). Pay attention to the 2 dots alignment, you'll know what I mean when you get it.

john

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

hounddog41, I just went onto Grafs and Sons website and could only find the new primer feed for the regular price of $51.99. HMB, I may try the idea of bending it and see of that works. Thanks for the help.

-Jollytrapshooter

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jolly, before I got the new primer feed I had similar problems.

One thing I did to help the primers to fall better, was to take a dremel tool and chamfer the hole where the primer starts to fall.

I cleaned it up pretty good, as I really didn't have many problems with it after I put a nice chamfer in the hole.

You might try this.

But........if you can find the new model primer drop, they work a lot better.

Hauxfan!

12. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I just checked Graf and Son's website and the new MEC primer feed is $51.99. I don't know anything about a sale flier. Connie's Components has it for $44.99.

I have installed them on all my machines and they do work great. Sometimes you need to tweak them a little so don't get frustrated. Once you dial them in, they don't miss a drop.

13. hounddog41@charter.net

I will keep looking for the flyer. I just got it a week ago Cant find it now. They also had SL claybuster wads really cheap. If I ind it Ill holler at you. Maybe you should just give them a call. It was $25.99. alex

14. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Check the pull chain adjustment, if its too tight it will move the tray. Line up the tray drop tube first, on the down stroke, tighten the set screw, then adjust the pull chain so the primer tray arm moves the primer to the drop tube.
    Have patience and it will work, Have a nice day.

15. B391

B391 TS Member

a small piece of sandpaper between the clamping bracket cured my problem. set the drop tube very close to the turntable and tighten down with a screwdriver. be careful positioning the drop tube and set the bead chain so it doesn't pull on the primer tray assembly.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hauxfan, yer right, they do work better than the old ball n chain type. My home made still works flawless! Still waiting for miscue, none yet! :) Hap

17. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I used a rat tail file to make the transition from the metal tray to the tube a clearer path. The tray overlapped part of the tube so the drop path wasn't right. Then I got the rest of it right with the chain etc. Now I rarely have problems.

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Hounddog41, if you find that flier, email me, cause I won't buy if it's on sale for that price.

-Jollytrapshooter

19. hounddog41@charter.net

For anyone that didnt get the flyer. starting on April 18th at 8am 25.99 for the new primer feed. Page 8 upper left. also claybuster page no 7 starting april 11th claybuster 12SL 41.49 a case alex

20. virg

virg Member

I would like to buy several of the old style feeds [with the metal tray and chain] will pay $10 ea. plus $3 for the shipping. 608-475-0295

Virgil Bomkamp
    430 W. Maple St.
    Muscoda, Wi. 53573

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 650 auto primer problem