1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Automate ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Paul,

O.D. = .752"

I.D. (hole) = .328"

Thickness = .314"

Hole depth = .127"

I did not measure the height of button not pressed, nor the height of button pressed, but the thickness (.314") represents the dimension of the button cover measured from the side. These should really be all you need to starting turning them.

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

2. superump

superump TS Member

The buttons need to be bigger around than the ones you buy from mec.

3. superump

superump TS Member

The top of the button (that you thumb hits) could easily be 1 1/4 inch or 1 1/2 inch diameter and be great. I just measured and the switch you are talking about is 1 7/16 inches away from the center of the mec button. 1 1/2 inch diameter button be great. When I bought the MEC buttons they looked a lot bigger in the picture. 3/4 inch just isnt big enough. The bigger the better, this has been my only complaint about the automate. Thankyou

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ever since I first saw larger buttons for the Automate advertised, I've wondered why. To me, they are an answer to a question that was never asked but I guess a lot of users dislike the factory buttons. They've never bothered me.

Ed

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Ed,

I talked to one of the guys in the shop in Mayville a month or two ago before I bought my Automate / 9000E about the buttons and the covers. Like you, he also felt they weren't an absolute necessity, but a co-worker there felt that they were needed. So somewhere in the middle lies the right answer. In the beginning, like you, I found it was OK without them. A few days later, I snapped the covers on the buttons and now I would say that I prefer them. The difference (for me) is that when I pounding out a significant number of shells in one setting, I definitely like them. As for size, I think that ¾” O.D. if fine. JMO.

Jon Reitz

6. Sparky30-06

Sparky30-06 TS Member

There is one problem with making the buttons 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". There is a good chance that a button that big would break off the bottom button due to the fact the leverage would be too great if you didn't push down in the dead center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.