1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Automate Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Portagee Shooter, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

I have a Mec 9000 that I am thinking of changing to the Automate system. I have not seen these units in person, so this is why I'm asking. Why are there two switches that you have to push, apparently simultaneously, rather than just one? Secondly, can this system be converted to a foot or leg switch to free up your hands?

Thanks, Lyle

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

The two button thing is a safety feature. If each hand is pushing a button, you can't have a hand where it could get hurt (in the linkage). Common configuration on industrial equipment.

It's electrical, so it can be converted to a foot switch. Would totally invalidate the warranty.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

As Capvan noted, the two button function on the AutoMate is a safety feature designed to ensure hands are out of the way of machinery while it is descending. There is plenty of time on the upstroke (after you let go of the buttons) to pick up a shell and wad, insert them in the reloader, and be ready to push the buttons to begin the new cycle. I find it helps establish a rhythm and I can easily load several hundred shells per hour with no trouble. In my opinion, this is the only way to reload these days for ease of use and labor saving. Try one, you will, I think, like it.

4. willing

willing Member

I totally agree with Jim. If you could see the force that this machine comes down with I think you will agree that is much better to have your fingers on the (both) buttons.

Bill

5. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing the units are as reliable as the reloaders themselves?

6. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

+for Jim & Bill

Once you get the rhythm going you'll stick the wad on, have a empty in your left hand, and still be waiting for the 9000 to index so you can put it in.

Foot pedals wouldn't speed up anything.

Jim

7. tj303

tj303 Member

Pulling the handle by hand is faster but... the Automate will give you the most consistent powder/shot drops. After loading tens of thousands with the Automate I think it is a great product and would highly recommend it. TJ

8. tj303

tj303 Member

Pulling the handle by hand is faster but... the Automate will give you the most consistent powder/shot drops. After loading tens of thousands with the Automate I think it is a great product and would highly recommend it. TJ

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have one of the ATS AutoMate IIs and agree with Jim - I see no need for a foot pedal. If anything, its wiring and the pedal itself would just defeat one of the benefits of the AutoMate by cluttering the work area. But a lot of folks who are used to a hydraulic system seem to want a pedal.

Ed

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Auto-Mate = smooth, consistent, quiet, portable and reliable. You will not be disappointed with it. An 'Auto-Drive' for a PW is another example of the benefits of electric drive.

11. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

Great combo, the MEC and the Automate. Just wish they would put the power cord out of the back instead of the side. Lester

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

It is called a' two hand anti tie down system'. Just like we used on presses and sutomated fixtures in the auto industry. Beat the hell out of the old wrist straps that kept an operators hands from getting chopped off in a press or other machinery. Tell you what, have your buddy cycle your hand operated press while you put your hand in some of the press and see what it feels like. Then you will see the wisdom of the two hand anti tie down system. No matter how good you are, someday you would be unfortunate enough to mess up and put your hand where it should not be as you hit that foot switch and OUCH! at the least and tragedy at the worst. Take it from someone who worked on punch presses back in the day when all there were were foot pedals and not even the wrist straps. Lots of old timers with missing fingers and hands from trying to make production. For those of you who think OSHA is a bunch of crap that is one of the very best things to come along in the stamping industry. Bill

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have the MEC 9000E on sale this month for Christmas. See the thread: MEC Reloaders Chrismas Pricing, or contact me. I can fix you up.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises Phone: (270) 804-5454

14. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

You do not want or need a foot pedal. It would just get in the way and you might accidentally cycle the unit. Buy new. It is without question the best investment for the MEC. Quiet, fast, smooth and dependable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.