1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC AUTOMATE FOR SALE JUST FOR YOUR INFO

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by birddog1964, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

0   0   0

JUST FOR YOU INFO A AUTOMATE IS FOR SALE ON EBAY ALMOST BRAND NEW AS OF NOW BID IS 222.22 WITH 1.9 DAYS LEFT i DON'T KNOW THE SELLER OR THE ITEM, JUST THOUGHT SOME YOU GUYS MIGHT MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN IT. ITEM 230399032650 IF THE LINK DOES NOT WORK.

THANKS
    LEE

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

0   0   0

I don't know the seller, either, but, I must tell any of you that are looking, I love mine. Got it back about 3 weeks ago...I had MEC clean and inspect my 9000G and send a new Automate back with it. It makes great reloads with little effort on my part. I have loaded over a 1000 rounds with only 1 or 2 errors...my fault for not setting the first station correctly or not inspecting the condition of the hull. Much better results than my previous 5 years experience.

JON

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Actually, it is an ATS AutoMate I, the earlier design. Later-design AutoMate IIs have the angled control panel that MEC uses but have an orange label as opposed to MEC's red one. To my knowledge, the biggest operational difference between a version I and II is that the IIs have the ability to have their software electronically updated but I don't know of any updates that Jim Benn rever released. Of course, it wasn't very long after the IIs came out that MEC entered the picture.

Back when MEC bought the rights to the machine, I was told by MEC that aside from rewiring them so the buttons had to be held down, not much would be changed. I find it hard to believe that the motor, for instance, that MEC uses would not install in my ATS II unit. Aside from that, there aren't many parts inside the machines.

Ed

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

0   0   0

Actually Mec should have their newest 2nd generation available now.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I love Mec's thinking...........That all Automate users are dumb and stupid.

It's okay to operate a hydraulic operated Mec with your foot while having both hands free, but it isn't okay to operate an electric unit with your hands free.

Come on Mec, tell us why that is????

If you can tell me of a valid reason for the differences, I will apologize for my above statements. If not, they stand as written.

Hauxfan!

6. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm with Haux.

Ajax, Jim Benn was forseeing the day when he might find a better idea that he could incorporate into the machines by updating the software, so he made the the generation II machines capable of being updated electronically.

Ed

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

0   0   0

For haux and averaged

You might want to consider that with the hydraulic system, removing your foot from the pedal stops the press. Thus, if something is caught (say a finger or other hand part) you would, hopefully, be able to minimize damage by letting up the foot pressure. On the other hand, with the original Automate, once it started by button pressure, it goes through the entire down/up cycle so that if hand/finger caught, it can't easily/readily be stopped before crushing the offending member. So the comparison to the hydraulic system is not really valid in my opinion. I believe that is why MEC changed the button system to hold in place while on the down stroke. Besides it is in no way any real inconvience to hold it down, having used it now for many thousands of rounds. There is more than enough time once the press reaches bottom stroke, to pick up a hull and wad and be prepared to insert them when the press reaches full upstroke. JMHO

Jim R

8. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jim, the AutoMate does have a device that stops the unit's progress if something inadvertently gets trapped in the works - the extremely low-amperage fuse that a lot of people have compained about opening too easily. Twice, my fuse has opened due to obstructions making the loader harder to cycle and thus increasing the electrical resistance to more than the fuse will tolerate.

Both times, operator error was at fault. I like to inspect each shell and box them as they come off the loader, so I removed the finished shell ejection tab before I ever used this 9000GN/AutoMate II combo and never installed the ramp. On those two occasions, distractions caused me to forget to remove the finished shell from the loader before I pushed the buttons and on both occasions, the fuse opened when the pointed decapping punch was about 1/4" into the shell's crimp.

By comparison, my then-20 year-old nephew who was a reloading novice and had purchased a used MEC hydraulic setup as his first (and last) shotshell loader about 15 years ago, lost the tip of a finger when he tried to straighten a crooked wad in the wad guide. In his panic when the initial pain set in, he stiffened and if anything, pushed harder on the pedal. As you might imagine, his pain worsened significantly.

The AutoMate's fuse has the potential to protect dummies from themselves.

Ed

9. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

0   0   0

Ed

I agree, the fuse does help with the older Automates, at least in cases like you describe. But that does require considerable obstruction (works also with MECs Automate) and I'm not sure at just what point it might trip if its a hand or finger in the way. I think it could do signifcant damage to the hand before resistance caused the fuse to burn out. (when I first got mine I did some considerable damage to a hull or two before the fuse blew on the downstroke when I made an error like yours and did not let up on the buttons quickly) From MECs standpoint, though, I think our current litigation happy society is primarily at the bottom of the MEC changes. I was recently reading of a case where two people picked up a gas powered lawn mower (rotary type) while it was running (not sure why but apparently to use as something like a hedge trimmer) and one of them was injured by the exposed rotating blade. They sued the lawn mower manufacturer --and won. Given the idiotic things people do and then blame the maker of the tool, it really is no surprise that MEC chose to add the button changes. Actually I'm more surprised they did not come up with more "idiot proofer" changes.

Sorry to hear about your nephew (hope he was not seriously injured) but I think in most cases, the natural reaction would be to jerk away, thus probably lifting foot off the hydraulic switch. Not fool proof, as you note with your nephew, but at least more likely. And even in your instances, with the MEC system, simply taking a finger/thumb off the button(s) would have possibly prevented the fuse from blowing out, or in extreme cases, prevented damage to the machine. With the older Automates like yours, it is going to continue the cycle until/unless the fuse blows. I don't think either Automate method is "bad", just that the MEC version is probably a bit more litigation resistant. For those who truly do not like it, blame the lawyers.

Jim R

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

0   0   0

ajax

I think there are many (like averaged and haux) who like the older style Automates so I would guess that there is still a market for them. I think the linkages are different so that they are not completely interchangeable but I think basic dimensions are the same. As for value, I suspect it is like any used item. It is simply what the market will bear-that is, what someone is willing to pay for it. Don't think parts are available though (not really very many) so that might affect what someone is willing to pay.

Jim R

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Jim R, You could be right about the lawyering thing, but on my Automate, when I hit the buttons, my hands are not going towards the machine, they are going to pick up an empty shell with one hand and a wad with the other and start the process all over again.

Hauxfan!

12. jaybw

jaybw TS Member

0   0   0

Does anyone know how the Automate works (mechanically)? Is it a ballscrew?

Jay

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

0   0   0

I would think that there is virtually no resale value for old AUTOMATES because I would find it hard to believe that anyone who has owned onw would ever think of selling it.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
jim bend ats automate 11
mec auto mate
mec auto mate for sale
mec auto-mate
mec auto-mate for sale

mec automate

mec automate for sale

used mec automate