1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Automate elec loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wolfman, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Any thoughts here on the electric attachment for MEC 9000 series loaders? Questions I have include:
    Cycle time (no strokes per hour)?
    Does it require continuous pressure on buttons?
    Can the cycle be reversed (to back it up and clear a jam)?
    How reliable are they?
    Is it worth the money?

I'm looking at one for a friend with a bad shoulder.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

do a search

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Went through HELL getting mine to work. The reloader had to go back to MEC TWICE. It works now but have yet to get a 100 round run without some type of problem. Mostly its in the primer feed or inserting areas now. If I had it to do over I would have sold my existing reloader and bought a new factory set up.

This thing can crush more hulls than you can imagine. I also had a major problem with cocked wads until MEC modified the reloader.

Is it worth it.... ???? don't know...

Tom

4. skeetjunkie

skeetjunkie TS Member

Does the Automate work? Yes, it does. Mine was purchased pre-Mec so it does NOT require the buttons to be held down throughout the cycle. I understand, though I don't know for sure, that Mec has changed this feature so that its now required to hold the buttons down for the entire cycle. As to speed, I can easily load 400/hour. That includes putting them in boxes. Reversing the cylce is a manual operation. If the machine gets stuck, you have to pull the rod back to the starting position by hand.

While I have not been altogether happy with the Automate/Mec arrangement(I got all my loaders badly out of adjustment in the installation), it does take the work out of reloading. I bought my Automate for the same reason you're exploring it and it has been worth it.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

By far the majority of users seem to be very happy with the MEC Automate system. I have owned mine since shortly after MEC acquired the AutoMate, and have to say it really makes reloading a pleasure rather than a chore. In the MEC design, you hold the buttons down until completion of the downstroke, Then blet go, the machine cycles automatically back up, giving you time to pick up a new hull and wad and be ready to insert them when the upstroke is finished. Timing of this, for me at least, is just right. Have never had any trouble with crushing hulls, bad crimps, or any of the issues mentioned by tbaber, but I did buy mine as a MEC unit, already assembled to the Automate hardware. If you buy them separately, they can apparently be difficult to get adjusted correctly, but this is a function of being sure to assemble and adjust correctly, not a fault of either the reloader or the Automate. Still, the best thing is to buy the unit, rather than separate parts. Earlier models of the 9000 (not related at all to the Automate) did have some issues with wads for the very light loads (7/8 or 3/4 oz wads which did require some adjustment to the wad guide, but it appears that MEC has now addressed this with a re-designed wad guide. Primer feed is, as with all reloaders, something that has to be watched, but it is no more problem than any reloader I have used, and a great deal less problem than most. Again, it is primarily an issue of ensuring the primer feed mechanism and especially the drop tube, is properly adjusted. These are areas that must be paid special attention in adjusting and tuning if you are assembling an Automate to a MEC reloader yourself. The manual makes this clear. But most of this need for careful user adjustment and setup is avoided if you buy the parts as a factory unit. Overall, I have to say this is the best loader set up I have ever used. Yes, some other loaders might be better, but cost will be several times more to get this good of performance.

Jim R

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Most folks who have them love them and as skeetjunkie and Jim R inferred, most problems with them have been operator-induced through improper adjustments. Tom's about the only one of us who has been through the wringer with his and the reason(s) for that escape most of us.

Mine is also a pre-MEC unit and I bought the AutoMate and the loader directly from Jim Benn's American Target Systems, the company that invented the AutoMate. I unboxed everything, converted the 9000GN from manual to AutoMate operation, fastened the loader to the AutoMate, made a few minor adjustments to tailor the loader to my loads and have been happily loading shells ever since. The whole setup process took about an hour.

I've blown two fuses and both times, it was because I was distracted and pushed the buttons while a loaded shell was still on the resizing station (I disabled the finished shell ejector so I can inspect and box my shells as I load them). A friend of mine loaded a flat of his shells with my AutoMate-powered 9000GN and promptly bought the same equipment for himself. He's also a happy camper.

Obviously, I highly recommend them. For an arthritis sufferer like me for whom rotational movement of the shoulder is painful but doesn't want the noise and clutter of a hydraulic system, they are a blessing.

You asked about cycle time - mine is supposed to complete an operational cycle in 3.8 seconds. I do not load for speed and take my time inspecting hulls on the way onto the loader, watching the loader operate and inspecting and boxing finished shells coming off the loader, so I don't begin to match some of the speed merchants who post here. But I can load and box a flat of shells (250) in an hour without difficulty.

Ed

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Thanks for your replies and input. I think this may make a perfect Christmas gift!

8. joconnor

joconnor Member

I have both the hydralic and the pre MEC auto mate. The Auto Mate is quite and very smooth operating. The hydralic is not near as quite. Bottom line, I can load 40 to 50% more shells per hour on the hydralic. Speed or quiteness, your choice. Jerry O'Connor

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Like Average Ed, I bought mine as separate units and put them together before Mec bought out Mr.Benn. I have only blown one fuse in all the time I've had it, so it is obviously not a problem.

It is a chore free way to load shells.

Sure, everyone is going to have to tweak something once or twice, but I don't consider that anything but a minor glitch.

Would hate to go back to pulling a handle again.

Hauxfan!

10. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My 9000G is at MEC now for update and cleaning. I am having them install it on an Automate. Hopefully, having it mated at the factory will take care of some of the problems. I was told the manufacturer of the electric motor for the Automate stopped making that particular motor, so I won't get mine back until some time mid Sept. I will let you know.

JON

11. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 TS Member

I don't post much but have been reading here for a couple of years. My wife bought me the Automate for Christmas last year and it is great!!! I only shoot in the county league but at one point I was loading for 6 of us! My wife purchased the Automate only as I already had the 9000. It took me about an hour to convert and some very minor adjustments. Once I became comfortable with it I timed myself loading 2 boxes of shells, it took 5 minutes 18 seconds, that does not include boxing the shells or refilling components so I would guess you could do 600 per hour. The thing I like the most is the consistency of the loads, the powder drop is always spot on and the crimps are very uniform. You won't regret the investment.

12. kofh2

kofh2 Member

If you wish to see one in action go to youtube.com and enter mec automate in the search window then click on one of the videos. Walter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustment of mec automate

auto-mate mec loader

mec auto mate loader

mec automate

mec automate adjustments video

mec elec shell loader

mec reloader electric unit

mec reloader loaded round ejector