1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Auto-Mate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadpair51, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I am thinking about buying a Mec Auto-mate to use with my 2 9000g press's.Does anyone have one of these ? Would like to get some input on them before I make the purchase. Total cost will be about $675 including mounting hardware to make the conversion from 12ga to 20 ga press's. Thanks Jim

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have one and its like a dream come true...!!

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The automate will increase your loading speed by about half. I can load a box of shells in 3 minutes and 25 seconds with my automate. Before that it was taking about 5 to 6 minutes a box.

There are some draw backs about the automate. The fuse that is provided with the automate is .75 amps, and it will blow out if you accidentally fart while loading. It is extremely sensitive. I was going through a fuse about every 5 minutes until I found out that a 1 amp fuse is much more stable. So I bought a bunch of Buss 1 amp fuses and problem solved.

Another drawback is the automate operates well if everything is adjusted correctly. If it's not adjusted correctly, it can be very frustrating. Like for example if your turret rotates exactly the same every time and your hull drops to the bottom of the collet every time. If anything happens during the downstroke you MUST let go of the buttons to stop the machine. It will stop in the middle of a downstroke, but then you have to reach behind the machine and turn the wheel in the back to get the machine to return to the top of the stroke again. It must be at top dead center for it to work on the next downstroke. I have crushed allot of hulls in the collet because it wasn't adjusted exactly perfect.

One good thing about the automate is that it is safer than the 9000H. The hydraulic version is foot operated, which means your hands could be in the way during the downstroke. With the automate your hands are on the buttons, which keeps you from nipping a finger.

Overall, I would say I like the automate and how fast it loads. It's kind of expensive and a luxury. And it will take a long time to recover the cost. But it sure is nice not having to pull down that handle every stroke. If you buy one, make sure to order the button caps available at Recobs target shop. They make it much easier to press the buttons.

Kevin

4. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

blkcloud ,do you switch from one GA machine to another ? If so how involved is it to make the changeover ? Jim

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet that if an Automate opens the .75 amp fuse that often, there's something wrong with the loader making its operating resistance too high. My Automate has popped two fuses in several years and both instances were caused by my becoming distracted and failing to remove a finished shell before resuming reloading. (I removed the finished shell ejection tab from my loader because I like to inspect and box my shells as I load them.)

Ed

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I haven't yet obtained the adaptor kits to use my 8567 grabbers (all smaller gauges) but have been using the Automate for about a year now. I have yet to replace a fuse and mine must have been in very good adjustment when I got it (very slightly used..maybe 1000 reloads, no paint wear) although I have crushed bases on occasion, usually from one or more pellets having fallen into the collett. Otherwise all is well, I did fabricate a rotating bar with levers to operate the buttons, all attached to a foot pedal. This is a huge convenience and is still a little slower than my hydraulic 9000, but I've found that speed is pretty much set with both these machines and with the foot operation with both machines, I have more time to place the wad in the guide and place a fresh shell in station one. I probably lost more time correcting errors in these actions than when having time to do it accurately and consistently without stopping to fix mistakes and clean up the bench. They will still load more shells using a slower deliberate handling of components than any hand-operated machine you might use. It has also just about cured a repetitive motion soreness in my left shoulder since I quit "pulling the handles". As with any machine it behooves the operator to keep your fingers where they should be....I even have a friend who managed to jam the primer punch on his handle-operated grabber through his left thumb, requiring the two-finger removal method to get his thumb off the punch. This goes to show that you can't legislate safety beyond a certain point.

Cheers

Larry

7. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Just got off the phone with Mec-replace the .75 fuse with 1amp-no problem. You will love the machine. I can reload 10 shells in 1 minute very little problems at all. You can stop the machine mid stroke and start again,just dont do it at the very bottom of stroke. Perry

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

so easy a little girl can do it

9. Don S

Don S Member

Amen to the easier on the arm.

10. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

its faster because on the way up you can get a shell and wad ready to insert-you dont have to hold the handle on the way up!!

11. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Who has the best prices on the auto-mate? , I priced it from MEC and Cabela's and they are both about the same .And Thanks for all the good advice !

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The best price I found was from Connie's components.

And his price included shipping...

They are quite heavy by the way.

Kevin

13. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

When I first got my 9000E/Automate from Recobs, I had a lot of trouble with the fuse blowing out frequently (.75 amp fuse). After going through several fuses, I called and talked with MEC and also corresponded by email with one of the techs. At that time (about 2 years ago), MEC told me that some of the motors being used in the Automate had a problem in that internal loading was a bit higher than normal, and for these, a 1 amp fuse should be used. Based on MECs advisory, I changed to 1 amp fuses, and have hadproblem whatsover since. So if you have an Automate that seems to blow the .75amp fuse too easily (that is, even when not jammed or trying to crush a hull, etc) then you probably need to change to 1amp fuses. Would bet that would solve any fuse issue/problem.

Jim R

14. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I have seen a couple post about mec automates and have yet to see anyone say anything about the QUALITY of shell they get . I think that with the charge bar going same speed and distance every time is essential . I weighed 15 shells and 7 were the same powder charge and the other 8 were not a 10th of a grain off either way .the shot was not off that much either . I love mine and would not trade it for anything . Jeff

15. willing

willing Member

As stated above the speed of operation is constant and you can back it up or stop it by using the buttons correctly. Primer problems are almost non-exsistant if you tinker with it a little. It's great.

bill

16. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've looked at them several times, even used the one a friend has. They are very nice, but I finally decided that I really don't get enough exercise as it is now. Sitting on my can and pushing buttons isn't going to help that.

Until I get so feeble or infirmed that I can't pull a handle I'll save my money. LOL

Kip

17. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

thats why your hire the grand kids!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

who makes the mec automate