1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Auto-mate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FE DOG, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

Anyone have any experience with an added on auto-mate? I'm thinking of adding one to my 9000GN. Can someone try and explain how this thing is attached to the loader and how it opertates the the press. lastly how does this auto-mate compare to the hydraulic systems?

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The unit comes with parts that replace the press handle and tie that function to the Automate. Once you have the parts installed and adjusted you will never regret the money you spent on it. One of the best things I ever did for myself.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Never seen or used one but have used a Hydro for 25 years. Next to my Perazzis,the Hydro is the best thing in shotgun shooting. At least,for me anyway.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Alant, I'm pretty sure you can. Check with Mec and they will give you a definitive answer.

Hauxfan!

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The MEC AutoMate will work on any MEC 9000 or Grabber reloader (except for one already set up for the hydraulic system of course)

Jim R

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

My experience has been somewhat different. I have been trying to get a 9000G and an Automate to mate for about 3-4 weeks. After crushing a number of hulls and blowing 10+ fuses I finally sent the reloader back to MEC for repair. I got it back last week. My first attempt to cycle the machine resulted in a crushed wad guide and a lost snap ring from the rod assembly. Apparently MEC had replaced the wad guide incorrectly. The machine is still down. Had to call MEC for more part. I am very disappointed with MEC as I spent $165 to avoid this issue.

If I had to do it over I would have sold the old reloader and bought a completely new set up. If I don't get this beast working shortly you will see the thing for sale on this board and I will buy a Hydraulic set up or a Spoler.

Tom

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Tom,

I believe the Mec/automate can be a great rig. That said, get the Spolar with their hydraulic, and you will be amazed. It is truly a precision instrument. I am sure Mec reloads can break as many 25's, but your reloading pleasure will increase substantially.

8. biercart

biercart Member

I have the Auto-Mate, it works like a champ, you just need to change out the handle assembly with the links system and if you have multiple machines you just need to purchase the links kit for each machine. After you change everything out there is some minor adjustments that you will need to make but after everything is set it is the smoothest and most consistant reloader I have used. Changing out machines takes just a couple of minutes.

A couple of extra things to purchase to make changing out machines quicker is the clevis pin with cotter pin and the larger button covers that are much more comfortable to push.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Tom, I assure you that your experience is not typical. I have an AutoMate II and have several shooting friends and readers who have them and none of us has had a moment's problem with our loaders or AutoMates. I've blown two fuses in four years and it was my fault both times.

Ed

10. biercart

biercart Member

When I first set the auto-Mate up and started to use the loaders I did blow the .75 Amp fuses that came with the machine, once I changed to a 1 Amp fuse I have not had anymore fuses blowing.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I prefer to inspect and box my shells as they come off the loader rather than discover a problem hundreds of shells after the fact, so I have disabled the finished shell ejection feature on my loader. Twice I've been distracted and forgotten to remove the finished shell. I can tell you from experience and with deadly accuracy that pushing the buttons under those circumstances results in a finished shell with the decapping pin stuck in it and a blown fuse.

Ed

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I too have switched from .75 AMP fuses to 1 AMP fuses.

Have not blown a fuse since doing so.

Kevin

13. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I have 5 Mec hydraulics and they have worked great for me. I looked at purchasing an Automate some years ago (before Mec bought them) but what discouraged me was the need to press the two buttons simultaneously to operate the machine. I load with one hand full of hulls and the other full of wads and use the foot pedal to operate the machine.

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

I got the 9000 back from MEC. Everything is set up. Have crushed dozens of hulls. Blown 10+ fuses. Have 10+ percent cocked wad because the machine will not allow you to guide a wad with your fingers(damn lawyers). Now its stuck in the down position an I can't get it to return. The automate may be ok but the MEC reloader its attached to is junk which make the wold thing a boat anchor. Can't afford a $3000 Spooler so what are my options? That is provide I can get a sucker to take this beast off my hands.

Tom

15. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

You might want to look at the RCBS Grand. Over 200.00, more than a 9000, but less than a 9000 with the Auto Mate, and RCBS stands behind this press so well that they will send you free parts for life. They ship the parts the same day you call, so you get your parts in a few days.

Other worthwhile notes, the primer tray pops off, you turn it upside down, place over a tray of primers, turn both over and pull the primer tray off, close the primer tray lid, and viola, no spilled primers. The powder and shot stations will not drop either powder or shot, unless there is a shell under that station. The powder bottle will hold a minimum of 1 lb of powder and the shot bottle will hold a full 25 lbs of shot. You can dump powder or shot, with a large plastic tube supplied with the press, which you attach to the press, turn the bottles about 30 degrees and dump....very quick. You also get a video along with the paper manual. The video gives full demo of the press.

I have a 8567, 9000 and the RCBS Grand. My favorite for outright production and ease is the RCBS......I just wish it had the feature of a Universal Charge Bar, or some other way to dial up your powder and shot. It uses Hornady bushings, so you could buy some extras and polish the inside of the bushings until they throw the charges you want.

16. Hauxfan

Tom, You may be having troubles with your Mec, but I can assure you it can be straightened out.

Do you have anyone at your gun club who is familiar with the AutoMate with the Mec loader? If so, you might ask them to come over and help you and to see what you are doing wrong.

I can tell right now, you are doing something wrong and that is trying to guide the wad. Stick the wad all the way up on the ram and it cannot ever get cocked.

I have zero, nada, nil, none and no cocked wads in the 30 years I've been using a Mec reloader.

Seriously, see if you can find someone to give you a little guidance.

My AutoMate generally works flawlessly. Ever once in a while sure, it will screw up a shell, but I've loaded at least a 1200 shells in the last two weeks and it maybe gave me 6 bad ones. And that was due to my own stupidity.

Good luck...........Hauxfan!

17. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Wht doesn't Mec ship it with a 1 amp fuse and bigger buttons? It's obvious the.75 amp fuse doesn't let the unit work properly, and they sell bigger button covers, so why don't they just put them on the machine in the first place?

I'm sure they monitor this forum and know about the machine's shortcomings.

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

HUXFAN

Sorry Guy... but my BS meter just went off the sale. I am loading 7/8 oz 12 gage with long wads and I have tried every sort of insertion method all to no avail. I reloaded on this machine as a manual for a number of years but i always guided the wad with my fingers as I pulled the handle. You can't do that with an automate due to the two GD buttons. You can with a hydraulic machine as you are activating with your foot.

I am thinking of putting this in a crate and sending it back to MEC completely assembled and telling them to fix it or return my money. I don't want to have to assemble nothing when it come s back.

Tom

19. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Tom Baber

Is it only the 7/8 wads that you are having trouble with or all size wads? I have worked on a number of MECs and many presses seem to have problems with clearance with ONLY the 7/8 wad, no matter what brand wad. Mec does make a low profile wad finger which allows more room to insert those taller wads, but I don't remember the part number. Several posters here on TS.com have made their own modified wad guide by grinding off a little of the outside of the finger with their Dremel type tool. Search on for Mec and it may show up on past threads.

Dave Kern is the Sales Manager from Mec and he came to Nebraska this year pulling the Mec trailer. Contact Dave before you throw out the press and Auto. If you are close to Omaha, send me a PM and you can bring your press over for a look see. The Mec trailer is traveling the country this summer and may be at a shoot near you. They always have a few parts stored in that trailer. Dave wanted to look at a couple of modifications I had made to my MECs when he was at the Nebraska Youth shoot in May. He seemed interested in the number of D shovel type handles that customers have bought. I heard that a RUMOR that lawyers requested the two buttons to keep those fingers from getting crushed. I have witnessed the crushing power on a Mec hydraulic press. Let me know if I can help. I still wouldn't give up on your machine yet. Omaha The hyperlink above shows where the Mec trailer will be.

20. Hauxfan

Okay, Tom, I didn't realize you were loading the 7/8 oz. wads. But as the guy from OmahaSportingSupply says, there could be a modification to help you with that.

My self, I don't understand why Mec thinks they have to configure the AutoMate to keep your fingers on it until it is all the way to the bottom of the stroke. There hydraulic unit with a foot pedal isn't configured that way.

Are reloader people with hydraulics more safety conscious? I don't think so.

I have one of the earlier AutoMates and all I have to do is to touch the buttons and then I can get the empty shell and wad ready for the next stroke. Works for me.

Good luck Tom, I'm hoping someone will help you get it figured out.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to install a handle on mec 9000
mec 9000 automate not returning home position

mec auto mate

mec auto mate for forum

mec auto mate forum

mec reloader repair
mec reloader repairs pa
who makes the mec automate