1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Auto Mate

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BIGDON, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Anybody know how good or bad this unit is. Thanks in advance.

Don

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I have the MEC version. Works good. I've gone through a few fuses though. Not sure why.

3. Don S

Don S Member

I find the machine quiet and reliable most of the time. Reloading the shot bottles is tougher.I seem to burn out a fuse every case of shells. Can't figure out why. The fuses are not cheap.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have one of the earlier models before Mec bought Jim out.

I have had zero problems with it.

I too am puzzled that no one can find Jim and I can only hope that he is alive and well somewhere. I can't imagine him not responding to email and or phone calls. I only know he hasn't answered my emails to him. I haven't tried to call him.

Go for the AutoMate, BigDon, you won't regret it. It is quiet and is easy to set up and use.

I love mine and can't imagine being without one now that I'm used to it.

Hauxfan!

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Hoggy and Don S:

When I bought my Mec 9000 with the Automate, I had a lot of trouble with fuses blowing out also. After I had the 3rd or 4th fuse blow, I called and talked at length with the techs at MEC. The fuses supplied with the automate are (or at least were ) .75 (3/4) amp fuses. The tech at MEC explained that some automates were noted to have problems with this low amp fuse and recommended I switch to a 1 amp fuse. I did this, and have no further problems after 1000's of loads. Also got this advice from MEC via email, and kept the emails in case of warranty issues using a slightly heavier duty fuse, but as I said, the 1 amp fuse worked perfectly and has caused no problems whatsoever. A friend of mine bought the MEC automate at the same time, has had no problems with the .75 amp fuse, so it would seem the guys at MEC were right-some automates (possibly due to friction differences, etc) work fine with the .75 amp fuse supplied, some work best with a 1 amp fuse. Except for the initial fuse issue, I have had absolutely no problems with the Automate, and consider it one of the best ideas to come along in shotgun reloading. It works well, does great reloads, and really takes a strain off my arm and shoulder (arthritis issues) when loads hundreds of shells. Leaves my shoulder in much better shape for the actual shooting of the newly loaded shells.

6. Chester White

Chester White Member

The AutoMate II is a nice machine. Does MEC still offer the hydraulic units? Do they sell any?

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have an Automate II and it is the best thing that ever happened to the Mec reloader.

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Mec still sells the hydraulic units. Thanks for the info Jim. I don't go throgh near as many as 1 fuse per flat. It's more like 1 every 10 flats or more. I thouhgt of changing like you said but I bought quite a few from Fryes already. I may change when/if I use them all.
    Thanks

9. Don S

Don S Member

I put in the 1 AMP fuse and loaded 1000 without a failure. Thank you jimrich60 for the info. The 1 AMP fuse is 1/2 the price of the .75 AMP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.