1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Auto Mate 9000

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RemT, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemT

RemT TS Member

I'm getting tired of pulling the handle on my RCBS Grand (old age) so while I was out at the Cardinal Ctr I watched them work the Mec Auto Mate 9000. I need some feedback from you guys that own them, are they trouble or worth the investment. My RCBS is trouble free and works great so I don't want to buy something thats going to be a nightmare. Thanks, Gordon

2. cabman

cabman TS Member

I have had one for a year. Absolutely no problems. Makes a very consistent shell. Good Luck

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

First.... buy an entirely new set up ....loader and Automate together. I did a conversion of my existing 9000 and went through hell getting it to work right.

I have used mine for over a year and like it. Notice I said I like it not love it. The primer feed still sucks. Get about 5-8% misfeeds... tried all the adjustments... have just learned to live with it.

It makes a great load with little effort.

Tom

4. RemT

RemT TS Member

Tbaber, I would buy a new setup but now you got me wondering about the primer feed problem. Eight out of a hundred would be a pain in the neck. Can you stop it to hand feed a primer or does it dump your powder everywhere?

5. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Same comments as above. Have used one for over a year and it saves alot of work and makes a very good shell.MEC's primer feed has always sucked and sucks on my NEW 9000!The new plastic large load primer tray is even worse than the old.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Love mine, I did the converion on my old loader no problems.. took about 30 minutes to take the handle off and put the new hardware one.. I have found if you can watch 2 things everything else usually works out.. first, watch the hull fully drop in the de prime station, second.. make sure a primer drops.. other than that its a walk in the park.. I'm comparing it to my 366 where you have to watch about 10 things at a time..

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I'll add one thing to what blkcloud said. The first thing I watch as I push the buttons is the screw on the charge bar moving from right to left and then all the way back. I do this because despite all the tricks in the world, the bar will stick sometimes, hence a light load. I then move my eyes to the primer drop to ensure it's correct. I've found failing to do this results in a lot of added frustration.

The 9000G w/Automate is easier on your back, arms, and neck muscles over a long period of time. Mine was purchased with the Automate; not as a conversion. I think that was a good move. I did have to send the whole thing in to MEC a few months ago because the flywheel fell off. They said they've since changed their engineering standard regarding that. It's called Loctite.

Not sure if I would do it again. I have several other MECs and they are all a pain in the backside from time to time. Not sure if Spolar has a motor-driven unit or not. I would not want hydraulics. Good luck.

Jon Reitz

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

To you guys with primer feed problems with the LARGE TRAY. If you use Pledge on the tray bottom and feed areas. likely those will go away. I get about 1 out of 500-1000 or so that "bobbles" at the bottom and hangs on the carrier turntable and goes past the drop. But it never fails to drop a primer to the turntable. An I have 3 people using mine and with zero problems. One other thing I recommend is the bottle support. Seems like a PIA to start with in changing bars and bushing stuff but once you figure out how to "toggle" the left button to manually sequenc the unit and stop it where you need to in order to clear out the charge bar cavities it becomes a blessing.

But to Rem T's original question, I can tell you that loading is fun. Adn mostly we load too many. Currently, I am loading 3 different loads. I took my 1 ounce bar and increased the shot cavity for shot to 1-1/16 oz of lead and use that exclusively for all 3 recipes. And then we make a 1100 fps load for singles for my daughter and myself, a "All-Purpose" load that books at about 1225 and a "All-Purpose HD" load that goes downrange at around 1250. We use the 30 bushing for 1100, 32 for 1225, and 33 for the 1250. All are based on white fig 8 wads in STS hulls. I (we) do it this way because the crimp is so tight and near perfect. But I use the same settings for the times I fool with AA hulls. Just AA primers.

9. RemT

RemT TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I can deal with the primer feed using the pledge. But the charge bar sticking resulting in light loads is one thing that might deter me from this unit. Is there a cure for this also or not.

10. JACK

REM T. The charge bar does not stick. DOES NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

It throws the most consistent shell to shell charges of any loader I have seen. 99.99 % on the money every time.

11. JACK

REM T. Buy what you want. But asking us to correct problems that are not part of the deal is not my cup of tea. The DAMN THING WORKS!

12. biercart

biercart Member

I have had the automate for a couple of years now and wish I had made the change long before that, you will not be dissapointed, works great I have four machines converted and once they get dialed in they work like a charm and no re
    adjustments needed, and yes use some pledge or car wax on the primer tray and look at the adjustment when the machine is at full bottom that the slide on the tray is traveling over far enough to fully drop the primer, simple adjustment. As for the charge bar sticking, make sure that all the seals at the bottom of the powder and shot bottle are in properly especialy the the small brass bushing on the powder side is installed the correct direction.

There is a little learning curve but once you have used it for a while you will find running it very easy and get very consitant and great loads.

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I just got a Automate and think it works very good. I also have a 9000GN that I will add the link to.
    I also have a 9000HN that I like the best. The foot pedal make it easy fast reload.
    Get what you want. They all are good even the RCBS you have now.

14. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I've ran the 9000 for years and has never had the problems i'm hearing on here.I've put the wax on the large primer tray and it works like a charm. The only thing I do that i haven't seen in the comments above, I completely take down my 9000 and clean and regrease it about twiced a year. The collet, I clean and regrease about once a month. You probably don't have to do that as much as I do, but it gives me something to do in the winter. I load alot of shells during the year and the only real problem I have is my own fault not the 9000.
    I do watch to make sure the primer drops, if it doesn't the powder will spill all over. When you get it all cleaned up make sure you put a shell under the shot station or you will drop shot all over and have to do another clean up. Believe me, I been there and done it, not once but a couple of times. Rick

15. RemT

RemT TS Member

Thanks gentlemen, I will buy one now just have to find a place to order one. This should be alot easier on my shoulder.

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I purchased two 9000E's from Connie's(one for me and one for a friend) and got an excellent price. The 9000E has a stronger return spring and a couple of other tweeks that a conversion will not have; however, if in the future you send your converted unit to MEC for service, they will make the changes at no charge.

My charge bar hung constantly; it was so bad that I had to keep my left hand poised at the end of the charge bar in case I needed to give it a bump to force it to return to the park position. Rick at MEC worked with me for two months trying to solve the problem. Finally he sent me a new measure assembly(charge bar carrier). When I compared the two units the original had a chrome bump on the inside surface just to the right of the screw slot(as you face the machine); the new one did not. Apparently this was enough to make the return balky and cause an intermittent jam. I brought the defective part with me to the Grand and gave it to Rick for evaluation. The MEC crew is very dedicated to having their machines work properly; if you have a problem they will stay with you until it resolved.

Doc

17. JACK

Yes. I bought mine from Connies. But Gamaliel has the same deal. Adn they are a TS.com advertiser.

And Ray, good to know that stuff. My bar has no hangups and regular powder (like clays) does not leak

18. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Charge bar hanging up. Yes some time it did on older MEC's. Just add one or two washer to the bolt that holds the spring to the charge bar and that will fix it,
    Also what I found on the charge bar there is a white plastic piece next to the shot hold. Tap the down with a hammer. Some of my new charge bars had this problem. Once you tap the plastic piece down your sticking charge bar will be gone.
    John

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The charge bar sticking can be corrected by increasing the spring tension but a proper, permanent fix is to "tune" the charge bar's clearance in the chrome carrier. Tilt the carrier back and either tighten or loosen the two rivets by tapping on one end or the other.

I also had a frustrating time with my primer tray - so much so that when I saw an old-style primer feed forsale on here, I bought it. But MEC asked that I send my feed back for evaluation and they replaced it with a new one that has been 100% trouble-free.

I've owned MECs, a P-W, a couple more MECs, an RCBS Grand and yet another MEC, this one with an Automate II. This time, I'm staying with a simple, easy to adjust and repair loader that turns out a nice shell with no strain on my arthritic joints.

Ed

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

TBaber...I'm with you. Buy the unti together. I spent 5 hrs. and 3 phone calls to MEC before mine worked right. Once it did, it was better than sliced bread.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.