1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC AND AUTOMATE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by break25, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break25

break25 TS Member

I was talking to a friend about MEC now making AUTOMATE and he told me he saw it at FLORIDA. I asked him how he liked it and he said the they were having to many problems when they were demonstrating it, so he walked away. Anyone else see this?
    CHAZZ

2. Al P

Al P TS Member

I have not seen the problems that were described to you

I use a MEC 9000G on a AUTO-MATE II and have for many thousands of reloads with no serious problems.

You should, however, be sure that the MEC is adjusted for reloading your shell and properly paired with the AUTO-MATE II per the instructions.

Additionally, when I did experience a problem, a phone call to ATS(American Target Systems, Inc.) cleared it up. Their customer service is excellent.

Good luck in your choice,

Al P

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The Mec Rep did have a small problem the first thing. However when corrected it ran fine. I too have loaded in the neighbor hood of 30000 shells with the 9000g and automate. It is a great machine and you will be glad you have it. There has been much discussion on TS about it and all good. Jake

4. jimsw

jimsw Member

I have a MEC 9000g being run by an Automate. It really is great. You have to be sure the MEC is adjusted properly. With power a lot of force is applied before you realize what is happening. My experience with a MEC is that unless everything is tight and properly lubricated they can suddenly get out of adjustment. Also it is important to keep your eye on the primer feed. When everything is running right the reloads are absolutely perfect. The best I have seen. I have a Spolar and a Hornady 366 also. I am pretty careful with my reloads and expect things to be really good.

5. break25

break25 TS Member

I have been a fan of Automate since it came out. But, I have been wondering what has happened since Mec took over. That's why I asked my friend what he thought of the MEC AUTOMATE demostration. All of my reloaders hve been and are Mec's and I am familiar with their quirks. Maybe Mec will concentrate on those quirks that happen with Automate.

6. JLW

JLW TS Member

Where did you guys see the demo in FL?-Jerald

7. break25

break25 TS Member

Jerald, I will get back to you on that. He has just come back so it must be the recent shoot there. I will know when I se him Sunday.

8. mastergunner320

mastergunner320 TS Member

Mec sent me an e-mail this week concerning the release of their Automate.

It was suppose to be release in March, but now they are saying late April.

I recently bought 2 9000GN that I had planned on setting up to work with the automate, but I can't get one.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Mastergunner, they are worth the wait. I bought my Auto-Mate earlier, and I love mine.

I seldom load more than 12 minutes at a time, being retired and all, and that equals out to around 175 shells in that amount of time. And it is all effortless and quiet.

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

Hauxfan!

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

It was setup at the Southern Grand in one of the vendor's tents. The guy from MEC told me they were still evaluating the actuator buttons to see if they were going to leave it like they were when they bought them. I have the Automate II and you have to push two-buttons (like running a punch press) but you don't have to hold them down. They were considering making it work so that you have to hold them down thru the entire cycle.

I had a few problems when I initially installed my Automate, but all were related to adjustments on the 9000. Pulling the handle and all of the vibrations that causees covers up a lot of misadjustments that you find when the stroke is the same every single time. Once I got it all adjusted it works without a problem.

Scott

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I had a long conservation with the MEC guy about the button change they are considering, I asked if they were also considering a change to their Hydro unit. He said they were not. I suggested they put a foot pedal on the auto mate the same as the Hydro. I don't understand why MEC has this hang-up over the buttons. I also told him if I had to hold the buttons I would not buy the unit. In my opinion it is a dumb idea and I hope they do not change. Jake

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

If they change the AUTOMATE to having to hold the buttons down through the entire cycle, the unit will be worthless.

The beauty of pushing both buttons and reaching for the next hull and wad is what makes the operation so seamless. Having to hold them down for so long would cut production in half.

Why do they want to mess up a fantastic product? Idiots.

Tim

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I can understand the "liability logic" being employed here but wonder what system keeps the fingers of the user of one of MEC's hydraulic systems out of the loader. I agree with Tim - they're fixing something that I don't perceive as being broken.

Ed

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The operations sequence is really a bit different than on the hydraulic model. You hit the two buttons and the unit executes a complete cycle (barring obstructions). In the hydraulic model, the foot petal is a proportional control. You press a little; the press only comes down a little. Let up, and the press comes up.

15. EVN137

EVN137 TS Member

Been waiting for MEC to come out with their Automate since early January. I can't see it taking this long to get their people to get acquainted with it. IHMO they must be changing something. I agree with Jake. Rather have a foot operated system preferably a rocker switch, like a Spolar hydraulic. I wanna keep my hand doing something else.

Ed

16. break25

break25 TS Member

Glad to see that my thread has opened so many views.

Hope MEC reads these threads and gets the USERS opinions baring product liability needs. WHIZ WHITE?

Keep them comming.

17. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

If they make it so you have to hold the buttons down the whole time, everybody even remotely handy with a soldering iron WILL be wiring in a foot switch.

That eliminates the safety factor that the buttons now give you, which is that your hands are out of the way at the start of the cycle, which is the biggest concern, IMHO.

I thought about putting a foot switch on mine, but really don't feel it's at all necessary, as I tap the buttons as my hands are on the way to get a hull and wad for the next cycle, which is the real time saver over pulling the handle.

Don't forget, either one of the buttons is an emergency stop, if pressed during a cycle. Also, if something is in the process of really jamming up, the fuse will blow.

They don't need to mess with an already great design.JMHO.

Bill

18. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

You're exactly right, Ron. They can say you modified the machine, it's your fault you got hurt.

But you wouldn't have needed to modify the machine in the first place, if they would leave it the way it is (or was).

It just seems that the hydraulic dosen't have any "hands out of harms way" protection, and the Auto-Mate already does, so why are they making a big deal of it ?

I already have one, and don't want to see them mess it up, 'cuz I might need another someday.

Bill

19. jtgunn

jtgunn TS Member

Sliding slightly to a new question. Has anyone heard from Jim on the current status of the Automate for the Pacific/Hornady 366.

Talked to him before the big sale to MEC and he was nearly ready to get one in and start getting the stroke and timings logged. Then the MEC sale happened. I have been following and waiting for some type of autoloader for the 366 for years. This was the first system that seemed perfect, especially after being fitted to the Spolar and PW.

Have not heard anything on the 366 system since then. Anyone heard anything.
    Patiently waiting still....

Rich ...back at the fence

20. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Richard Luckett, Assuming this is an Automate II, Are you interested in selling the Automate by itself?

Let me know at above e-addy (remove x's).

Thanks, Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustment of mec automate
how to speed up a mec automate
mec atomate

mec automate