1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Air Cylinder Automation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ryvpete, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryvpete

ryvpete TS Member

I remember reading a couple of years back of some guys who automated their reloader with an air cylinder. I am in the process of doing the same and just wanted to get any recommendations on cylinder diameter necessary for the job. I'm looking at a 1-1/2" dia with 5" stroke, the multiplier factor is 1.7 x air pressure so at 60 psi it should give me 102 lbs of force. Is that going to be enough to operate the loader or do I need a bigger piston? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bust'em All!

2. 99/100

99/100 TS Member

Do you self a favor and get a 9000 H. One pump will do for all 9000 H machines if you load several gages.

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I've tried air to automate a reloader using a rotary air motor, the problem with air is when you have enough pressure to pull thru the hard part of the stroke it slams thru the easy part. Hydraulic and electric solves this easily, it can be solved with air but it is much more complicated.

4. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Got a whole bunch of steam rams I will give you boiler mght be a problem thou. Jon do the trick on web address and send me a address,you pay postage

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

ccw1911, did you try a speed valve on both both sides if the air cylinder (exhaust, intake)?

George

6. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I had my MEC actuated with an air cylinder for many years. I had the cylinder attached very close to the wood handle, that gave it the leverage it need to operate smoothly. I did have the valves on both ends of the cylinder. I had them wide open and that was enough restriction just being there to slow it down enough so it didn’t slam. If I remember correctly the cylinder was about 13” long and 1 ½ diameter. 60# was plenty of air pressure. I know, a lot of people here say air won’t work but I used mine for 10 years with zero problems. The whole works cost me around $100. not including the compressor and the mounting brackets I made.

7. ryvpete

ryvpete TS Member

I appreciate your comments. I must say that the slamming is one aspect I did not consider. It makes total sense that it would be a problem. The speed valves might work but did anybody try a spring or a rubber bushing of some kind. I might rethink this and look for a hydraulic pump. I want to automate this thing but I don't have $1000 bucks for the MEC solution. I should be able to get a pump much cheaper than what they are asking for one. I was thinking about getting an Auto-Mate but now that MEC bought it and screwed it up I want nothing to do with it.

Bust'em All!!

8. geeber

geeber Member

rvypete,
    I am an automation tech at a factory in Florida, where we build our own fully automated machines. If you put a valve on the exhaust end of your air cylinder it will definately control the speed and end the slamming problem.
    Gary B.

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I can't contribute anything to your issue but I am looking for a source for air cylinders for a different application. The size I'm looking for should be very similar to what you need. I found very little on Google. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Bob

10. ryvpete

ryvpete TS Member

I just ordered a Bimba cylinder #175-DP rear pivot mount. It is 1-1/2" dia with 5" stroke. I ordered it at Price Engineering in Hartland WI $49.10 (www.priceeng.com). Another place I found similar cylinders was www.aircylindersdirect.com they are out of TN. They didn't have them in stock so I ordered from Price, price was also a little less expensive.

Bust'em All!

11. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Get ahold of John Falkner at Price Engineering and ask him about Crouzet Air Logic. Due to the compressability of air you will not always get the smooth operation with air that you will with hydraulics. Crouzet can get you the two hand no tie down modules as well as the "and" element and others you may need. You also need to consider what you want your E stop condition to be and design for that. It's a pretty easy circuit to design. If you need help email me.
    Dan King

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.