1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H Sticking on return to up position. Help?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tailbuster, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Hi Folks,

I have a hydraulic MEC that has started sticking 1/2 way on the return to the full up position (after the work cycle- dropping shot,powder etc). I've looked at all the joints and can't tell what is sticking. It has a rather firm catch sort of stop at the same spot about 1/2 way up. It's getting worse now, almost to the point where it will stay in the 1/2 way position. Any idea what is causing it?? Thanks in advance.
    john

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Lube it up. All of the places that look like it needs oiled.And lube the resizeing fingers and sleeve.And ofcourse make sure everything thats supposed to be snug is.

3. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Mine did that a couple of times but I never definitively located the issue.

As Smokintom said though, lube it up.

Also, make sure your cylinder fluid return valve didn't get closed too far along the way, that will slow the upstroke to the point where things seem to stick sometimes.

Dan

4. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

The collet is probably sticking. Clean the fingers and lube the whole sizer and it should stop sticking.

Jim

5. chopperman

chopperman Member

Collet is sticking.Lube it up. chris

6. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

Collet is dirty or needs lube.
    Les.

7. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

If you have loaded 20,000+, check the linkage arms at the top of the loader. Mine was doing that, and I had to slightly push it up the last little bit to get it to cycle. Talked with the MEC rep, and he called the problem on the nose. The holes in the linkage arms had become elongated, causing the unit to bind. Replaced them for about $30 and it works like a charm.

Joe

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

The collet is sticking. Lube , clean or replace it.

9. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

It is only the collet sticking if, when you exert a very slight upward push on the turret, the collet closer snaps open and the turret returns all the way to the top. You can watch the collet on the upstroke and see if it is snapping open. The column might be dry, the linkage pivot points might be dry or the bolt too tight, the links might have worn the holes elongated, the shell carrier might have some dirt or shot under it or it might be dry at the bearing surface as well, it might be several things all or only one of which can cause your problem. Check all these things and get back to us with the results please.

Don T

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

check to see if the brass powder bushing is not in pieces and in place. Too the shot/powder bar might have a sliver of lead jamming it. Either situation will givve you similarly described problems

11. bl0407

bl0407 Member

Lube will work short term, but I had this same issue and talked to MEC at the Grand and he said to make sure you use anti seize on the resizing collet. Seems to have corrected the issue I had with my 9000H that's 15 years old.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

probably a mashed shot in the collet. inspect, clean and lube with kroil. problem solved.Bill

13. John 53

John 53 Member

I agree with shot in the collet. Clean it well. If you have not done this before, watch the above video for instructions. Hope this helps.

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpGSbT-1Jk&feature=youtu.be

14. maka

maka Member

Look on the left side of the collet chain. Push out link or pin witch holdes it in place. Then the collet will drop down and you can lube it. This is per MEC. Lube with never seize or equvilent. Good luck.

15. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

HI Guys,

Thanks so much. I haven't been able to check it out yet since I received all the replies. I get the areas to concentrate on so I'll get on it tomorrow and report back. Thanks to you all.

john

16. mTm Herb

mTm Herb Member

I'm very glad that I stumbled onto this thread. I was having the same problem with Mec 9000. A little lube in the collet and everything is working fine.

Herb

17. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I had this problem when mine was new to me.. It started after about 1500 shells were thru the machine. In my case, it was the collet. It needed lubricant on the outside of the fingers. I use STOS on it. A small brush gets the job done. Also keep the main post lubed. I use STP on the main post.
    Art

18. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Do they still make STP? I hate that anti sieze, what a mess it makes! If the collett sticks, it will flip the primers right out of the rotating shell holder.

19. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Lucas makes an engine assembly lube/antiseize that is a lot like the old STP. I like it for the column but I use CRC Sta-Lube extreme pressure engine assembly lube for the collet fingers. The Lucas stuff is slicker'n owl poop but it tends to flow off so don't use too much. The Sta-Lube is more like a heavy grease product with Molybdenum and Graphite in it. Works for shotguns too.

http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL3333-Anti-Seize-Engine-Assembly/dp/B000CPAWP6

link 2 you need to cut-n-paste.

Don T

20. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I have loaded a couple hundred thousand on my h. This issue has popped up before. After resetting, lubing and replacing parts I called tech services. Loose the bolts on the red frame th side.Have a strong arm pull machine towards the front and retighten. Works everytime. Last year at the grand they Mec folks gave me new nuts and bolts to fix the problem.

Search tags for this page

9000h stops on up stroke

bushing the linkage in mec 9000

loader arms upstroke

mec 9000h not cycling up

mec 9000h reloader upstroke sticking