1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H shot droping

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John 53, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John 53

John 53 Member

I have been using a MEC 9000H for about 7 years now. Just recently, it has started, on a random basis, not droping shot or droping it AFTER the shell has started to move to the next station. I am loading #6 shot for crow shooting.

I sent an email to MEC on Thursday, but have not received a reply yet. Has anyone experienced this, and what did you do to stop the problem?

Thanks.

John

2. MilCon

MilCon Member

It sounds to me like you need to clean the tubes and the funnels.
    The tube anf funnel will gunk up on you after time.
    Soke the tube in some hot water with Dawn, take a green pad and cut a strip and run it through the tube.
    Both tubes will just lift out if you tilt the upper bottle section.

3. fly

fly Active Member

make sure your bottles are not to tight.

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

sounds like the shot is bridging in the tube,I had the same trouble with #6s filed and sanded the inside of tube that help,some have told me to cut the bottom off a little to open the lower hole up.(I did not)

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Cut the Bottom off the shot dropping tube about 1/8th inch, or open it up with a round Rat Tail File then sand with sand paper in a split dowel rod that will fit the opening.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

MEC Sells a steel shot drop tube,works well with larger shot. Sometimes 4s will bridge but not often....GOOD LUCK

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I routinely remove and polish the inside of the powder and shot drop tubes with steel wool on a drill rod on the Mec press. I don't remember the last time I had shot bridge. I have loaded shot as large as #5.

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Call MEC and have them send a steel shot tube.

9. John 53

John 53 Member

I am going to try to polish the tube first. The shot tube only comes in a kit, so if a little polish will save $4o, I think I will try it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

John

10. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Make sure the shot bottle is not comming in contact with the charge Bar.
    I was having this problem....Seems the plastic bottle threds were comming in contact with the bar as it moved from left to right...It would hang up momentaraly...creating a mess.
    I had just ordered new bottles from MEC, I returned the bottle to MEC, They replaced my old one problem solved.
    I think it was a bad batch of bottle & threds

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here's the problem I'm having.

The press (a 9000H) is all the way down and about ready to start back up.

The first quarter inch is fine . . . but then, every now and then

just as the wad guide lifts out of the mouth of the shell, there are still a few pellets _in_ the wad guide and a few of them spring out onto the rest of the press and you know what happens then, eventually.

The setup: One-ounce bar, small shot, either AA pink or Remington Green, a bit of wad pressure according to the indicator.

Any ideas?

Neil

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Neil, more wad pressure to get the dropped charge lower when it begins its return stroke. Too many pellets remaining in the wad fingers cause this. Hap

13. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Neil, are you loading Gold Medal hulls? If so the drop tube is pulling the wad back up to the wad fingers.

Just for grins, I would clean the outside of my drop tube and apply either, silicone spray or spray wax.

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.