1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H Setup Nighmares

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 24grams, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24grams

24grams TS Member

I just bought a MEC 9000H, and setting up the hydraulic unit has been a nighmare.The directions are some of the worst written product instructions of any kind I have ever read.

To begin with, the schematic of the hydraulic unit does not resemble the unit supplied me. I discovered this a few weeks ago, on a weekend of course, so I had no one to call until Monday.

I generally work during the week (like quite a few other people), so it is not always convenient to call technical support while sitting in front of the machine. Finally I spoke to someone and sorted out the erroneous schematic.

Today, a few weeks later, I finally got around to pouring in the oil, and was even more amused by the instructions.

In one paragraph the directions say that one quart of oil is sufficient to operate the machine.

In a later paragraph it says that the oil should reach the fill line (which one quart of oil does not accomplish).

WHICH IS IT???????????????

I tried it both ways, and still the machine does not work. The motor hums along merrily, but nothing happens when I depress the pedal.

I am not exactly new to the 9000; I own three 9000Gs, but this thing has me stymied.

Any similar experiences?

2. 24grams

24grams TS Member

I had the valve indicator in line with the valve, but after your suggestion I unscrewed the cock as far out as I could. It made no difference. The manifold on the hydraulic unit has two hose ports. I attached the hose to the one on the back (opposite the pedal) as shown on the schematic. Still no good.

3. 24grams

24grams TS Member

shootnclays,

I have no such instructions. I am a little worried about disconnecting the hose at this point, under pressure, with oil in it. Ideas?

4. 24grams

24grams TS Member

Great advice. Thanks. I'll give it a go.

5. 24grams

24grams TS Member

open the cap on the resivour,and reinstall it.

I understand the other, but why do I need to do this?

6. 24grams

24grams TS Member

I got the oil to come up to supply hose (enough to make a nice mess). But then I connected it back up and nothing.

Did it twice.

Nothing.

7. 24grams

24grams TS Member

I let it run for a full 10 minutes. Still nothing.

8. 24grams

24grams TS Member

Thanks. I was beginning to think that the problem was something like that. We will be talking to the boys at MEC tomorrow.

9. biff

biff Active Member

On top of the pump you have two threaded holes, both have a screw in plug--remove the plug closest to the foot operated pump switch and put your hose in that hole. Remove the the air return cap(the tall plastic screw in cap) and screw it in the reservoir fill hole, you can add a little more oil than the supplied quart to the reservoir but I didn't fill mine all the way up to the line. Run and attach the other end of the hose to the top of the unit where the fitting is, I used plumbers thread tape to both ends of the hose, open the petcock screw. It is NOT necessary to bleed the air out of this hose as it will be pumping oil through it which will force the air out(no mess). It is extremely important to run the small hose attached to the bottom of the hydrolic unit down the main hose and insert it into the hole in the top of the tall plastic cap, this is a return line; your unit will NOT operate properly if this small line is not properly installed(WHICH MEANS- It must be vertical, no dips, from the cap up to the bottom of the hydrolic unit). Once you hook all of this up, you turn on the electricity, make sure the loader is indexed properly, then operate the foot pump lever 4 or 5 times till the line is purged. The unit should start operating, the new units will make a squealing noise which MEC says is normal, but to me it's almost like raking your fingernails across the blackboard!

Now the fun begins! be careful operating the unit it is powerful and has alot of power. It is mentally hard to stop the operating foot pedal once you initiate it's operation. Good luck! Biff

10. 24grams

24grams TS Member

Well, I spoke to MEC and found out the problem. On the hydraulic manifold on the pump are two hydraulic ports. The instructions clearly show the hydraulic hose attached to the rear of these two ports.

The fellow at MEC laughed sheepishly and informed me that the directions were WRONG and that it should be connected to the front port.

He said, "I don't know why they don't change those directions."

Why indeed.

11. biff

biff Active Member

24 grams isn't that what I said in my post on how to hook up your hydrolic unit? I had been on the phone with MEC several times, some of them know how to trouble shoot the H and one I talked with knew less than I did. If what I wrote was of no help I'll be glad to delete it.

Shooting clays, the old pump had only one plug hole to go to the pump, the new pump has two holes on the top of the pump housing and has a clear oil reservoir. Biff

12. randy-s

randy-s Member

Biff, your post was perfect! Thanks

13. 24grams

24grams TS Member

Biff,
    Your post was great. Unfortunately you posted after I signed off last night, and I found out from MEC this morning before I read it.

Very good advice, just a little too late. Even if I had read it, I was ready to give up on the thing and sleep on it.

After changing ports, it works like a champ.

Any one use it with other gauges interchangably?

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes, I've added quick disconnects to the hydraulic hose, and use it in a four gauge setup. The pneumatic quick disconnects work fine. I still have to manually connect the breather hose to the machine, but that does not seem to be too difficult.

15. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Bob-k. I have 2 machines hooked up to 1 hydraulic pump and 2 breather lines coming off the pump. I just stacked 2 of the breather line fittings on the pump. Works fine. Stacking four might be less then attractive. Maybe you could drill another hole in each of 2 of those fittings to give you 4 ports. You'll need to buy the very small plastic line for the added hookups.

16. 24grams

24grams TS Member

Great advice guys. Thanks. I know that if I ever need reloading advice I can go to the experts - trapshooters.

17. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

What kind of oil do you use? GOOD LUCK

18. biff

biff Active Member

I added some 10-30W to top mine up some, I think it comes with 30W but don't think that is real critical as long as it is in that range. My new machine was super quick compared to the older one, I slowed it down by turning the petcock in where the upper end of the hose goes into the hydrolic piston, you do have some control there I found out. Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i just bought a mec 9000e the instruction were for a hydraulic unit

manifold for mec 9000h

pump and hose for mec 9000h