1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H rounding brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smilyb, Sep 13, 2013.

1. smilyb

smilyb Member

My MEC 9000H 28 ga is rounding the flat part of brass when depriming. In past it has done this every few hundred. Now it has done 5 out of 10. Can anyone give me idea's on what can be causing this.
    Thanks in advance..

2. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

I would double check to make sure the hull is dropping all the way down at that station. I have had it happen on my electric MEC a few times where it doesn't seat all the way & it rounds the base.

Lyle

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Clean the collect. I would think you have a piece of shot down in the collect and not letting the shell drop completely.

Make sure the primers are not building up under the drop chute this can cause it also.

Ajax

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

shot in the collet -doesn't allow the shell plate to drop down all the way= which combines the two comments above

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Collet to tight

Shot/residue in collet

Fingers on the collet are bent

Wad guide is set too low

All of these could be causes. I've had a lot of trouble in the past with my hydraulic mec. These were all problems I found. BYG

6. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Also, if you do not CENTER the shell on the depriming plate, then the shell can hang and that will bang out the bottom of the shell. So make sure when you insert a new shell in that it is over the center of the plate. The plate should drop easily down into the collet. The plate and rod should not have any oil or grease on them.
    hope this helps.
    Art

7. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

everything you need to know is stated above! I have had mine for at least 15 years with no problem, then last week same thing! Mine was out of time, the shell was hanging on the edge of the collet. I figured that out after tearing the collet apart and cleaning it. LOL

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It is nice to put the wad in first, so you don't jiggle the shell out of align.

Ajax

9. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

I had this happen a couple of times with mine. The problem was, spent primers

would stack up under the drop tube. Just be sure that the spent primers are not

getting in the way of the tube exit area.

Hal

10. zzoom

zzoom Member

Clean and lube collet, problem should go away.

11. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

A suggestion before you start loading any shells(with no primers in tray, and no shot or power in bottles), is to deprime/resize about 10-15 shells. That way you would have a shell ready if you have problems with the resize/deprime station.

12. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

watch the vidoes on the mec site

13. clayshtr

clayshtr Member

I had this happen with some older Remington premiers I had. The primers were coming out so hard it would round the brass. The new primers going in would also not go in all the way and bind in the turret. Apparently these have a smaller primer opening than the sts shells. I have never had a problem with them.

14. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Almost certain the wad guide is set too low....see MEC Manual or talk to one of those factory guys.

Larry

15. smilyb

smilyb Member

It was shot in the collet. Cleaned collet and loaded 500 rounds without a booboo
    Thanks for everyones help.

16. Mario in QT

Mario in QT TS Member

Had the same problem yesterday. It took me a while to find the bb stuck behind one of the fingers of the resizer. Of course while I was trying to fix that problem I broke three other pieces. LOL. Will be back in production in a few days.

17. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Put in a new sizing collet and make sure things are adjusted and lubed correctly. I messed around for a month because I was just positive the old collet was fine.... wrong........ Cost $40 through Gamaliel, machine now works perfectly and shells come out great..... Larry

Search tags for this page

mec 9000 rounds off rhe brass when depriming

rolling brass on a mec 9000