1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H Rebuild question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am currently in the process of cleaning up/rebuilding a 9000H and I have a question. If I remove the thin metal plate that is riveted on to the base of the reloader can i simply use pop style rivets to reattach it? I want to glass bead everything and repaint the unit.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Button head cap screws would be easier, and would probably look better, but I don't see why pop rivets wouldn't work if they were the right size.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bryan... Be very careful when doing this type of project. The finished product may look so good you won't want to use it....lol.... I hope you enjoy the loader... Dan

4. Calkidd

Thanks for the loader Dan. It suffered a little rust on some minor parts, but It works fine I just wanted to clean it up a little bit.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pop rivets will work fine. Just measure the thickness of the base and the metal plate combined and buy rivets accordingly. I had one missing on a Mec i had before and replaced it this way. Just drill out the old ones. Post some pics when your done with your rebuild.---Matt

6. Calkidd

Thanks Matt, I should have taken photos of it before, boy was it dirty. No complaints here I got a good deal it's just I am a little OCD when it comes to my equipment. Plus I am like a Tweaker I like to take stuff a part and put it back together.

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Anyone know what kind and weight of oil to use when changing the pump oil......Thanks and GOOD LUCK

8. Calkidd

Mine said 10w-30 on the side of the pump.

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Mine has been running on automatic tranny fluid for fifteen years or more. No problems!

Big Jack

10. Calkidd

I didn't take photos before but here are some with it a part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Calkidd

Oh one question. Are the painted parts powder coated or sprayed on?

12. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

That's the way I clean and repair loaders, is a box full of parts and replace any worn parts then going back together.lol

lee

P.S If you need any help on your project, don't hesitate to email me or call me.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The older ones are almost certain to be painted. I'm not sure on the newer ones. If you have a place locally that can powder coat them and its reasonable, DO IT. There is no comparison when it comes to durability and quality. Just my 2 cents anyway.--Matt

14. Calkidd

My local powder coater will powder coat the base and turret assembly unit red along with the rest of the parts black all for $40!!! Pictures will follow when I pick up the parts later this week.

15. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Just a little info on the re-installment of the gauge ring, I would use 1/8-3/16 steel rivets so they don't work loose.

thanks
    lee

16. Calkidd

Thanks for the insight, but the total thickness of the base and guage plate is 1/4".

17. Calkidd

I got the reloader back from the powder coaters and I must say they did a wonderful job. However, there is much more work involved in prepping the load for assembly due to the the coating being thicker than conventional spray paint. A lot of the holes can be drilled out by a drill bit and the larger holes you have to use a die grinder with a sanding drum.

I have ran into a few problems concerning the actuating rod. For some reason the bolt, with the roller at the bottom of the rod, is distorting and the rod is bending. While watching the rod travel it appears to bottom out before the reloader travels all the way down thus putting undue stress. The collet collar appears to move freely. Any suggestion? I am installing the bolt with a roller in the bottom hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have pictures of the reloader, but I had to take it back apart to fix it.

18. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

It does not go in the bottom hole it is for 3" shells it goes in the top hole for 2-3/4" shells, that is if that's what you are loading.lol.

thanks
    lee

19. Calkidd

Thanks Lee I called MEC this morning and found out it goes in the top hole. The one thing about the H model is you never know when the machine is binding up. You can really damage the equipment and not know it. I have pictures of the finished proct and ill post them up later tonight.

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Let's see the pictures, Bryan..... Don't keep us in suspense... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rebuilding a mec 9000 h