1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Uncle Screech, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

On occasion when I place an empty hull in the first station (depriming station) instead of the depriming ram coming down into the hull it will be on the outside of the hull and crush it. As the shell lifter starts to lower the hull is "wobbling", most of the time it's slight and the ram can catch the hull
    correctly but every once in awhile the wobbling is enough where the ram will come down on the outside. It used to happen once every 400 or 600 loads which was acceptable in my opinion. But last night it was really bad, in just 200 loads I must have crushed 10-12 hulls.

I have taken out the lifter and cleaned it, used a little bit of gun oil (couple drops, no more), used my compressor to blow out any debris that might be in the resizer collet and normally that will get me back to a crushed hull once every 400 to 600 loads. But nothing I do now is having any impact, the hulls wobble and a lot are getting crushed.

I can't see any differences in how my MEC operates when it works fine and when it crushes the hulls, the shell carrier is in the same place, I place the hull in the same way, the wad slides down through the fingers the same way, etc. It happens at the beginning of the session, in the middle and at the end. It doesn't seem to matter what hull I use, (Rem GC and STS/Nitro or once in a great while Fed Top Guns), doesn't seem to matter if I am loading 1 1/8 ounce or 1 ounce, I guess there doesn't seem to be any apparent pattern I can
    detect.

I thought I'd reach out here before I called MEC and asked them about sending it back for a "tune up". And if it matters, when it does not crush the hull the reloaded shells look great; when it works, it works great. This is my only complaint.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg Sliker

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Make sure your machine is securely mounted to a good solid bench? Sounds like the machine might be moving causing the hull to shake. Also make sure the machine functions smoothly(no slight hangups that would cause the hull to shake). Just a thought.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Change your rhythm to make sure the wad is placed into the loader first. The wad guide is on the same bar the elevator is on. If you put the case in first and then put the wad in, it can move the case out of alignment.

Ajax

4. creek

creek Member

You have dirt, or lead between your resizing fingers on the collet. I know you said you cleaned it and blew it out, but trust me, if you take a dental pick and run it along each gap of the fingers you will see what is causing the problem. Compressed air will not take out all the bad stuff.

I had that same problem and with the same equipment. Now I scrape between the fingers, also using a flashlight, to make sure they are free from flattened lead or grime.

John

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The lifter should be absolute dry, not even light gun oil. Check that the ball detent is clean and shell plate is accurately held by the detent. If it is a hair off, the shell head will touch the top of one of the collet fingers, resulting in a tipping shell. Another possible problem is a bad collet. They do wear out, and you may find one of the collet fingers is not springing back all the way. Also check that there is not a piece of shot in the collet (usually stuck between the fingers).

6. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Thank you all so far. My machine is mounted to my bench (using the bolts that MEC supplies).

Funny you mention the loading rythm, I have done that. I am left handed and noticed when I placed the wad because my right hand is "clumsy" I was better off placing it first then putting the hull in. I have also went to "one wad, one hull" in my hands because it is happening so much lately that it was more convenient and it seems faster when it all works right.

I have not cleaned the resizer with a pick of any kind and I have not used a flashlight to make sure of what I am seeing, I just "assumed" that blowing it out was more than enough. I will check this out just as soon as I get home from the office.

As to the totally dry lifter, that could also be the answer. When I first got the machine I thought that the lithium grease I was using on my SKB would be just what the doctor ordered. Then I noticed that as it got colder it was working worse and worse. So being a junior genius I removed the grease and changed to gun oil thinking it HAS to be lubricated and grease isn't good in winter... I will clean the lifter off and run a patch or two through the hole where it sits to remove the existing oil. Thank you for that idea...

7. willing

willing Member

Make sure the center post is square with the table.

Bill

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Clean out the resizer slots and make sure the lifter is even or a hair lower then the resizer. If all done right you will be set up right and the problem will ne gone.

9. A201

A201 TS Member

I'm with Bob K, bad collet fingers (no spring tension left in them). Small pain in the patoot to change out also. Roger

10. clayman51

clayman51 Member

How many rounds have been loaded through the machine. How old is the machine?

I replaced the top linkage on mine, had the same problem. Since replacing the linkage the problem has gone away.

This is after many 1000`s of rounds through the machine.

Dennis

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If your depriming punch is loose or out of round it will do exactly what you describe. Check that, and it will make it easier to clean the collet if you remove it.

HM

12. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

I have had this same thing happen a few times. Pushing the shell all the way into the collet deprime position is very important, if it is just a fraction of an inch from going all the way in , it will cause this. Sometimes if you have a little grease or some other sticky substance on your finger it will pull the shell a little ways back out when you release it causing the shell to be out of position when you push on the pedal.Another cause that I have came across, is that the deprime punch actually can get bent, especially on the hydraulic machine.When this happened to mine I removed the punch and straightened punch and all was well.I have owned 4 MECS and a MEC resizer and have been loading on them for many thousand rounds and about 35 or 40 years.Hope this helps.

13. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Just wanted to say a big "Thank You" to all who responded and let you know where things stand. After a delay of several days due to work related insanity I was able to get my flashlight and pick and whatnot together so I could follow your advice. Here is what I found:

1. There was a fairly large clump of black "lint" on the outside top of the resizing collet. It was slightly sitting in between two of the fingers and while it is hard to believe this could have been a problem I took no chances and removed it. I went through the rest of the fingers with the pick and using the flashlight to ensure I was really seeing everything and did not find anything else foreign.

2. While doing the above I had the shell lifter out and cleaned that off so there was no oil or other junk on it. I also ran a couple patches down the hole where it sits to make sure that was cleaned out. The patches did have what I would think of as a minor amount of oil on them, nothing unusual but if it is supposed to be dry then even a little is too much.

3. While I was taking care of this I gave the rest of my 9000 a visual inspection and did some minor cleaning (shot and powder flakes on the base, etc.).

End result is I was able to "deprime" about 100 hulls without incident, they all went through the first station just as advertised.

Again, thank you to all who responded, I really appreciate the help and hope that I can return the favor someday.

Greg Sliker

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am very glad you were able to find you problem and fix it. The MEC is the work horse of the reloading world. But even a work horse needs a little tune up and cleaning now and again.

Bryan

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I wanted to agree with those that solved your dilemma but you beat me to it. Been there, done it, and still wear the T shirt. Checking the collet at the beginning of each session is a really good idea.....breakemall

16. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

DANG, I was hoping he would put this machine up for sale for $20 or $30. Thanks guys!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.