1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H primer jam

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smokeater6844, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

We have a 9000H and the primer sometimes fails to fall all the way into the primer seating assembly when rotated. This causes the shell carrier to stick and disconnect the rotator linkage. I've checked and there is nothing in the primer seating assembly that is holding the primer up off the bottom of the hole. We have even marked the shell carrier to see if it happens when there is a primer in a particular primer receiver hole. There seems to be no rhyme or reason that it sticks. It may only do it once in a hundred shells but when you are really cranking it's a PITA.

Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian "Robbie and Jake's Dad"

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

If you find out why, please post it. I have a Grabber that does the same thing.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Polish the receiver hole with some wet and dry sandpaper. Start with 220 grit and finnish up with 400 grit. HMB

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Make sure the end of the drop tube has no burr's on the inside of it.

Ajax

5. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

The lower end of the primer drop tube on my 9000h is cut at a slight angle. Make sure that angle matches up with the carrier plate and that the drop tube is within about .050" of the plate. It is very important also that the hole in the drop tube be exactly in line with the hole in the carrier plate. Even the slightest error in alignment can cause exactly the problem you are refering to. Larry

6. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Maybe the way I described the problem wasn't clear. The primer drops down through the tube as it is supposed to. It also drops into the little hole in the shell carrier and sits flat down in the hole as it should. It is when the shell plate rotates past the priming station that it doesn't drop down into the hole all of the time. Somethimes it gets cocked part way into the priming station hole and stops the rotation of the shell carrier on its way to the next position.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I'm all ears to any ideas.

Brian

7. dontate

dontate Member

I have had the same problem all along with my 9000H. I have polished the head of the seating die and still get one in maybe 200 that falls to the side and hangs the table up. One thing that is critical on the large capacity primer tray is the timing of the slide on the tray. It needs to drop the primer a bit prior to the full extension of the slide. If not the primers get tipped to the side and they will hang up for sure when the table rotates. I just really pay attention when the primer drops to see that it is in the correct position prior to the table making it's rotation. Good luck with it. Anyone else with more advice please post it.

8. FLIP

FLIP Member

i had the same problem it was the Winchester primers, they had some burrs on them , now i just put a magnet on the station #2 shaft this helps it go in and helps on primer flips

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had the same problem. It was the timing of the drop of the primer.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

3 things here:

1: The primer drop tube should be perfectly aligned, and quite close to the rotor. In addition I wax the tray with car wax once in a while. don't be afraid to grab the mounting clip and bend it with a channel locks.

2: The shell lift has to bring the deprimed shell high enough to rotate out of the first station freely. Slop in the handle will sometimes fail to bring it up all the way.

3: I occasionally have a primer that is not completely seated hang up and foul the rotation sequence. There should be 1/8 inch or more clearance under the spring when the handle is down, and even then sometimes Fiocchi's will stick in Gun Clubs.

That's all I got.

HM

11. folothru

folothru Member

some of the primers have a sharp rim on them . what your problem seems to be is the primer is hanging up on the index cycle ..take out your primer station and sand the outer edge of it where the primer comes in contact with it there should be a slight radius so that the primer can feed into this station....also slow down the cycle feed speed you want a nice smooth return on your machine or it will cause all kind of weird things to happen

12. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I have two different types of "spring pad " for the MEC. One is a flat black rough surface disc with a hole for the primer with no chamfer to the opening and is constructed from an unhardened material and has a flat top. The primers would often hang up rather than drop in the hole. The one in my unit now is a replacement I bought that is a "chromed" piece, harder than a score keepers heart with a chamfer around the hole and the top surface is slightly domed. I have not had a primer hang up since I started using that piece, the MEC part number is a 531-12, I did modify it a bit by increasing the chamfer ...... Larry

13. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I have several rare earth magnets stuck to my primer seater post (under the rotating carrier about 1" above the locating point). This helps SUCK the primer down into the opening. Works great!

14. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Ive had problems with my brand new 9000.. In my opinion mec has really lost my respect for bein one of the best.. Im gonna try a spolar

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Spending 3 times as much usually solves the problem................

HM

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have the same problem with my H---I watch every drop and catch it in time to relocate the primer----No big deal---I also have a 900 Dillon and have to watch every primer drop and catch a misfire now and again---Reloading is a serious process and it takes time to know what's going on---To me it's no big deal.----I can load a flat in no time with the problem----Being a farmer I'm used to equiptment glitches----JMO----George@SJB

17. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Has anyone gone to Shotgunworld.com and looked a Curlynohair's thread about the fixes for the MEC issues?

To say you are going to go from a MEC to a Spolar is like saying I don't like the acceleration of a Corvette so I am going to dump it and buy a Bugatti Veyron. The Corvett has plenty of accleration.

Youth and exuberence....

Bryan

18. tammike

tammike Member

Mine does this with winchester primers but never does with Fiocci(sp). Maybe it is not a loader problem at all. Just saying

19. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Bowhunting..... can I have your MEC?

20. wolfk80

wolfk80 TS Member

Slow the rotation down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 jam