1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000H - Intermittent Bar Lock problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsikole, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsikole

rsikole Member

I have a new MEC 9000H with a universal charge bar. Occasionally while reloading, the bar lock latches onto the universal charge bar and prevents it from cycling. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I started boxing about 5000 shells (when I discoverd about 12 shells missing shot). With experience, I have since learned to watch closely for the primer to drop and for the bar to cycle properly, but it is still occasionally happening.

Does anyone know what can be done to prevent this?

It seems to happen randomly when the hooked end of the lock bar is just high enough to engage the charge bar and prevent it from moving to the right. I can modify the bar or fix it in other ways, but I would rather make a simple adjustment if it is possible in order to avoid modifications.

I'll call MEC support next week as well.

Any information is appreciated!

Rob

2. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Bend the arm out of the way so it can't interfere with the bar just a little. I know this sounds nuts but I did it thousand of round ago with no ill affect.
    Pete

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Lower the tube that seats the primer. Don't bend anything!!!

Get in the habit of calling MEC's toll free line for adjustment issues, not an internet talk board.

4. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

bend it bend it quick fix on problems
    Pete

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Flincher100 has the correct answer.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It's been a while since I loaded on a Mec, but Flincher100 has the correct answer.

ss

7. rsikole

rsikole Member

I lowered the primer seating tube about 1/16", and now there is plenty of clearance between the bar lock and the bar during operation.

I needed to load some shells this weekend (when there is no MEC support available), so thanks for the immediate help!

Rob

8. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Had the same problem about 6 months ago. Flincher has it right. Moved the tube down just a smidge...problem solved.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can lower the tube, but if the spring collar rises more than 1/8 to 3/16 inch you are wasting effort and compressing the spring a lot.

The little tab that operates the latch is easily tweaked just a little to compensate for where you have the primer seating tube set.

I put the tube where it should be first, and then if the tab needs to be bent I do it.

HM

10. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Rob,

If you ever need help with a MEC problem You may call me at anytime to help you or anybody else at 423-743-9233, I work on MEC loaders and sell them as well.

thanks
    lee

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

rsikole et al, it is that adjustment that controls the machine NOT dropping powder if there is no shell in the position where primers are seated and powder dropped. It is important that this adjustment is appropriate and I'd advise against just bending things to make them work.....Bob Dodd

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Removed the entire bar lock assembly from my 9000H and my 8567 Grabber the day I bought them, threw them in the trash, and have never been sorry..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.