1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 9000G

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by darkside, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkside

darkside Member

Does anybody know approximately how many shells can be ran through a loader before the collet needs to be replaced?

Thanks Curt

2. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I'm pretty sure I'm well over 100,000...

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ten years and then as preventative maintenance only.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

One of my MECs, a Grabber, has been on 4 benches since 1975 with the original collett and it's still cranking out shells. It was my only loader for many years and still handles one of my two favorite loads. No way to estimate how many rounds have gone through it.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

5. superump

superump TS Member

I have had my 9000G for 8 years with one heck of a lot of shells run through it. I load for my son and myself and we shoot trap singles and doubles and skeet and I have done NOTHING to my 9000G except one minor adjustment to seat my primers a little deeper and that was earlier this spring - no problem since. Dale Brown

6. darkside

darkside Member

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Curt

7. shark1

shark1 Member

I had 6 years 50k shells then it went. Had MEC do the work. Some do go a lot faster than others. Mike Sharkey, DC

8. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

I've put 96,000 through mine and it is still working fine. Can't conclude much from a sample size of one.

Chip

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a Sizemaster 77, Grabber and 9000G. I loaded on the Sizemaster for about 10 years and probably loaded 30,000 - 40,000 shells on it without lubricating the collet (shame on me). It finally broke when one of the fingers broke off. I replaced the collet and bought a spare to boot.

Since about 1986, I have loaded 50,000 - 100,000 shells on the Grabber and 10,000 plus on the 9000 G without changing the collet. I put anti-seize around where the fingers are compressed on the down stroke and give it a little shot of Rem Oil from time to time.

I keep a spare collet handy as you never know when a collet might break but, properly lubed, they should last well over 50,000 rounds.

IMO, the MEC Sizemaster, Grabber and 9000 series presses have the best resizing mechanisms. I don't load steel hulls but if you do, get a MEC.

Ed Ward

10. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Curt; When hulls were tough to get in the 60's I got a lot of high brass rem's that were shot in very worn guns from the power plant.I had to use both hands on the handle off my mec 9000 to reload them.After 30 or 40 years and many thousands of reloads I had to replace it.Imo if you load low brass hulls and don't set clear down to factory specs I would bet they would last a lifetime.

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a Mec 9000GN and I put about 25,000 though it in 2 1/2 years no problems with the reloader. Only me not putting in a wad a few times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.