1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Station 1 issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Felice Taddz, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

Looking for some help. The only issue that I seem to have every now and then is that in Postion 1, the shell doesn't always fall in all the way. I have cleaned the collet, I have repostioned/re-algined position 3. Positon 1 feels tight, its almost as if the collet has closed to fast and didn't allow the shell to fall all the way down, I have to lift up on the handle a little, wiggle the shell then it falls in and I can continue. Its just getting to be a pain.

Taddz

2. John 53

John 53 Member

My old 9000G had the annoying habit of stacking the spent primers every so often. Every time it did this, it would not let the shell go down in the collet. It takes a few primers before this happens, but it was amazing how often it could happen. A hole beneath the loader that allowed the primers to pass through to a can beneath the loader, and the problem was solced.

John

3. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

John, I have a hole cut under my loader my issue isn't a primer issue. Thats the wierd thing I can't see anything wrong with it other then it happens now and then, the shell just doesn't fall all the way in.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your collet might be set up too tight. After making sure the shell lifter moves freely in the collet,,,

Find hulls that will not chamber in your tightest chambered shotgun.

Loosen your collet nut clockwise a full turn. The hull should not chamber after you run it through the collet. Tighten the collet one click counter clockwise at a time until the hull chambers without resistance.

If your collet still acts up, it may be sprung. If so, it may be time for a new collet. Take your time, be patient, and do not damage the new part while installing it. Make sure it is a little below flush with the shell plate so it does not kick your primer when raising the handle.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You've got something in the fingers of the collet. I've seen crushed, errant pellets wedge in the fingers and prevent hulls from dropping all the way. If one or more of the fingers are damaged that will also create this possible hanging up of hulls. Get a flashlight and check out the space between fingers and also any fingers that seem to not spring back all the way at the proper moment.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

I had the same problem last december. My 9000G got to the point that the brass at station 1 would become deformed on about 90% of the cases. I made all the adjustments that were in the manual- no help, I greased the collet - no help. Finally I cried uncle and just sent the reloader into MEC and they replaced with a newer version collete and it works great again. I think they charge 65/hour plus parts( I think the part was only about 30) plus cleaned it and fine tuned all the adjustments for me.

I tried everything I could and the fustration level just got to the point it was eaise rto send it in to someone who knew what they were doing
    Bob R

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A flattened piece of pellet when it finally comes out looks more like a powder flake than shot! I use a dental pick and canned air to clean mine after I have an errant shot spill. Sometimes, a stuck flattened piece of shot is hard to locate too!! Hap

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Another possibility. That thing, (Don't know the correct name) the whatchamacallit the shell sits on.

Pull it straight up and take it out and wipe it off.

It may have powder residue built up and not allowing it to fall as fast as it should when you bring the handle down. It should go up and down easily.

Hauxfan!

9. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

I did do my best to clean the collet, I will redo it again. I did find some "stuff" in behind the collet, at this point it looks clean, all the fingers close tightly (no gaps). Has anyone from Canada sent a unit to Mec for cleaning/adjustment, just wondering of the price?
    Guys once again thanks for the info, I'll give it another shot.

Taddz

10. atagym

atagym TS Member

The shell lifter has to be clean and dry (no oil)

11. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I assume that you can push the empty shell down to the correct spot in the collett. If you can not, the number two station priming ram/powder drop tube has been pushed up by a preceeding primer incident. This keeps the shell lifter in the first station from going down all of the way. Mark the tube when it is opperating correctly so it can be re set to that location if pushed up.

12. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I have two 9000's a G and a H, both did this. I replaced the collet assembly on both, in a few months it started happening again. They both sit in a corner, on the floor. I bought a Dillon SL900 and the only drawback is that it only holds 100 primers and hulls at a time, I am extremely happy with it and wish I had bought it first.

13. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

If you put grease or oil on the lifter tube it will hang up on the way down and destroy the brass. The lifter tube should be clean and dry.

Chip

14. wanderer

wanderer Member

A cracked arm on the collet will not show up on visual inspection but will cause just the problem you are having. GEG.

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have had several problems over the years, it's usually not a problem of the collet closing all the way, it's usually that the collet is not opening all the way.

The other day I was having a lot of problems with the shell dropping all the way, and after several cleanings and lubing I found some of the hulls I was loading were from a friend a couple of years ago that his old 870 had a bad chamber and the brass was out of round, if it was put in the wrong way the indexing plate would not let it center over the collet and it would not drop everytime....that one almost drove me nucking futs!!

another time the wads were poping going through the wad guide, this was causing the hull to kind of bounce in the collet, I put baby powder in the wad bag and shook it up to lube the wads...this helped.

If I remember right I think too much wad pressure caused me problems one time, but that was several years ago.

Look at other stations on the press and make sure they are all working smoothly and everything is lined up.

hope this helps.

tony

16. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

I would at least call MEC( get there # ON WEB SITE)- they have a technician that you can talk to - no charge- explain your problem and let them talk you through what they would do- wont cost you anything.

then if that doesnt work you can decide if you want to send it to them.

Good luck

17. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Ditto the cracked, or broken finger on the collet. BTDH

18. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

You might also check the wad guide and make sure that it is lined up with the top of the shell, and is adjusted properly. If it doesn't come down far enough while in the downstroke, the shell lifter also doesn't come down enough. They are tied together. Thanks, Don

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

You can call MEC if you want and talk to the techs they are very good, But, the bottom line is you have to take the collet resizer section apart and give it a thorough cleaning and PM. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts collet is not broke or bent. Take your time and follow the procedure to disassemble. There is a great link to this procedure at shotgunworld.com, do a search for MEC collet removal. Color pictures and text that is 100% on the mark for disassembly and re-assembly. Minimal tools, thin slotted screwdriver, needle nose plier and a 10" adjustable if you don't have the correct open end wrench.
    If it's your first time you'll be a bit timid if your not mechanically inclined but, go at it, it's easy and the second time around it will be a no brainer. Good luck and find that link at SGW.COM you'll be impressed wit it.

20. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Tazzd,

I had the same problem with my Mec 9000 H it turned out to be the collet was sprung from loading steel base shells. I replaced it and the problem went away.

He mentioned if you load those steel base shells the collet life is really cut down. You may have to replace it more often.

You never mentioned if you was loading 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz shells. You should also check the wad tube to make sure it is set at the proper height. There are marks on the tube for the different wads. This does make a difference on the timing of the drop tube.

This all came from a phone call into the tech guy at Mec.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 collet

mec 9000g resizer wont go down

mec collet hanging up