1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Reloading Newbie Question - Crimp Close

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GWN21, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GWN21

GWN21 TS Member

Hello all,

So I'm new to reloading. I just put my first 10 shells thru the new MEC 9000G and this is the current recipie that I'm using:

12GA 2 3/4" Remington STS Hull
    7/8oz #8 Shot
    Clays - Powder - (15.9gr)
    Win 209 - Primer
    WAA12SL - WAD - (Claybuster CB1100-12)

Pictures:
    Picture of the 4 Shells show the Swirl - This is what's happening.
    Picture of the 2 Shells show Factory New Shells. (That's what I need).
    Picture of the Cam Adjustment - This is where the MEC Manuals says to adjust the swirl.

Everything is coming out great, but when I look at the Crimp Close, I see that it has a "swirl" in it. Using the MEC Manual, it says that if at Station #5 that you get a Swirl in the crimp, to correct by raising the cam adjustment approx. 1/32 inch.

I've losen the screw (below and to the right of the "stampped" R in picture) and raised and lowered the cam up and down the length of the cut hole. But every shell still shows a swirl in the crimp. (made about another 10 shells).

Am I doing something wrong? The MEC 9000H is brand new and these are the first reloads, so is it not "broken in"? I've made no adjustments, other then setting up the Powder and lead shot.

Let me know what I can do about the swirls. For Reference, I added a picture of what two new unuse Remington STS shells look like fresh from the box.

Thanks,

John
    GWN21

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Hi, I am a newbie reloader also - so - not sure my suggestion will help, or not. It might be that your pre-crimp (the 1st crimping station) is set too low. Try loosening the lock nut ... and raise the crimper up a 1/16". See what happens. You can always lower it back down. Good luck !

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

STS and Nitro hulls are my favorite, and there might be another explanation, but my experience is, the STS are not exactly cut the same length from the factory. That said, I think you can adjust some of that out, as that is quite a bit of swirl. The top picture is much worse than the bottom, so perhaps you adjusted a lot of it out already. The Nitro gold hulls do seem more consistent at least for me.

If the crimp is tight, I don't believe it will negatively impact the effectiveness of the reload. It is somewhat a visual thing if it is all buttoned down tight.

The green STS hulls are fabulous, but that would be my one knock on them, consistent length.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The second picture of the two, look great, so whats the problem?

If they are coming out like that, I would leave well enough alone.

just my $.02

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the bottom (2) shells. Look just like the ones my Pacific DL366 spits out. Even the shells in the top pic will shoot and reload just fine. They are just not as factory pretty.

Matt

6. bluskyshooter

I believe the bottom pic shows 2 new, "factory fresh" shells.

7. grntitan

"I believe the bottom pic shows 2 new, "factory fresh" shells."

Oh LOL, your right. Told you there was nothing wrong with the bottom (2). LOL I do think some minor adjustments need to be made but they are not terrible reloads by any means.

Matt

8. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

According the the MEC9000 manual,
    Your Starter (that is the station after the shot drop) crimp it too deep, loosen the nut, and turn the screw counterclockwise, until you get the right depth, then re-tighten the nut,

Or the Cam is set too low.
    And according to your picture, your cam is set on the opposite end of mine, so that may be the issue.

I have included the page to d/l the manual for the MEC-9000.

Hope this helps

9. bluskyshooter

In the picture, the cam is adjusted all the way "UP". Which is where it should be to try and remove swirl.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Reloaded shells with swirls deliver an increased amount of rotational force to the target, coupled with denser shot patterns, this improves your ability to break targets. Do not be anti swirl. HMB

11. new loader

new loader Member

If you can't get what you want by turning screws, change wad to CB 0178-12. They are better for 7/8 oz. Then you may have to tinker with screws again.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

The two in the bottom look pretty good. Not much swirl and the depth looks about right. You will find (as mentioned earlier)that not every shell is the same length and a few will swirl or have a tiny hole in the center. Thats just the nature of things. From the looks of how your loader is adjusted in the picture I would leave the swirl adjustment where it is for now. If most of them have excessive swirl then try this (1) Raise your crimp depth every so slightly and I mean SLIGHTLY. (2) Raise the "Crimp Starter" a bit, like a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. The pre-crimp has more of an effect on the final shell than you might imagine. Raising or lowering the crimp starter changes the whole outcome significantly.

Before making any further adjustments, mark each station with a pencil so you can see where you have each set. When you finally get everything where MOST shells are perfect make a permanent mark with a file/awl so that you can return to your settings any time you want. You will find the markings handy if you ever have to remove a part or if you change shells. Super quick to return setup that worked with your Remmys.

Mark

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Congratulations. You have just entered the MEC time warp. Now that you have futzed with the crimp stations, you will forever be adjusting these things as your minds' eye decides something ain't right. Do your self a favor and throw that loader away, buy a new one (MEC is fine) and learn to adjust the look of the shell by the stuff you put in the hull. (verks fer me Ollie)

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

MIA, his reloader is new....

15. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I believe Didreckson is correct. The sts hulls are not the exact same length. When I reload on my 650, some shells will have a swirl others look like perfect factory and yet others leave a small hole.

To me its a cosmetic thing once I put them in the box I never look at the crimp again until its in the resizer getting ready to be reloaded. If it does bother you then either raise the first crimping station or try another wad.

Thats my 2 cents.

John MI

16. grntitan

I agree with John on the last post. Its purely cosmetic and will not change the performance of your shells. If it bothers you, make small minor adjustments as you load. I have found that often while adjusting a loader to solve one issue, you can cause another issue by adjusting too much too fast. Its not just a MEC thing, they all need fine minute adjustments.

Matt

17. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

GWN21

I think Wallace has it correct for you. According to your picture,
    your cam is opposite of mine also. I adjusted my starter station, get right
    depth and you will be good to go.

1. According the the MEC9000 manual, Your Starter (that is the station after the shot drop) crimp it too deep, loosen the nut, and turn the screw counterclockwise, until you get the right depth, then re-tighten the nut,

2. Or the Cam is set too low. And according to your picture, your cam is set on the opposite end of mine, so that may be the issue.

Birddog

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Your reloads will work great. Here's what you need to do:

1. Load 25 shells and box them up.

2. Grab said box with two hands and shake vigerously.

3. If the shot stays in the shells step up to the line and start calling for targets.

4. Go home and load'em up again.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

cal. don't take me too seriously

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Call MEC---They will walk you through any problem and save you time---I never understand why you would take your problem on here when you could go right to the pro---MYSTIC---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hole in end os shell mec reloader
how to adjust crimp on 9000 g
how to adjust mec pre crimp
how to adjust the precrimp on a mec loader
mec 9000 crimp too low
mec 9000 hole in shell
mec 9000g first crimp problems

mec reloader adjustments