1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Reloader Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kuelblaz, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuelblaz

kuelblaz TS Member

Got a 9000G cheap ... found out why when I got it. It has some weird kind of corrosion all over it. Easy to clean up and hardly any rust at all, I am replacing some parts just so I feel like I rebuilt it! Anyway, got a question regarding the indexing speed. How fast is the carrier supposed to turn. Mine seems to turn very slowly. I thought it was just max dirt binding up the linkage, but turns out its the carrier actuator. Since I have never loaded with a 9000, I'm not sure if the actuator is bad or is operating normally. Seems to take about 3 or 4 sconds to completely extend.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!

BTW, I'm fairly new to this site and enjoy it a bunch. My son(13) and I are relatively new to the sport, I understand now why folks like it so much. WE've only shot sporting, but think we'll give 5 stand a try next time we go out. Dont know anything about it, but we'll give it a go!!

Thanks,
    Bill Forbes

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I recently got a 9000 also. I feel like it is slow also, but after loading some I dont think it would work going much faster. I would say if it is completing its cycle with a shell in each posistion it is ok. It is really no faster than my 650. Although turning the turret has turned spots on my fingers sore when reloading alot. I like to reload a flat or better each seating. You could order a new cylender during the "rebuild" If it is no better you have a spare.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It can't turn real fast as it would kick some shot out and you know that spilled shot on a reloader is no fun. Do you have a manual on the reloader so you know where to lube? Did you totally dismantle the loader? You can print or just read a manual at the Mec website. If I can be of service call me at 912 449 1010 or PM me with any questions but Mec can answer any questions you might have and can be reached at 1-800 797 4632. Jackie B.

4. crackshot

crackshot Member

If I put the empty case in and my wife puts the wad in it will be done indexing by the time I can pull the lever again....Dave

5. kuelblaz

kuelblaz TS Member

Mac, I went ahead and ordered one. I was thinking the same thing

Jack, I broke it down to parade rest. I wanted to go through the whole thing and make sure I got every last bit of crude out of it. It has seena lot of use, judging by the amount of residue built up under the carrier. I have the manual and have ordered parts before for my 600.
    Is there a speical lube procedure for tearing it down completely? The manual doesnt really cover that.
    I'm sure before its all over I'l have spent a good bit of time with Cust Serv, but hey, I'll only have about 200 in it when I'm done and I'll be intimately familiar with how it works.
    All in all not a bad deal

Thanmks for the advice, I may be calling...

Bill

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I call MEC a lot when rehabing loaders, mostly for cross part interchange with older loaders.

7. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

The piston is less than $15 dollars and it has to get tired of pushing all those ounces of lead for years. Don't forget the index pin under the copper strap as this helps stop the shell plate. I don't find this usually when I purchase a used press. Omaha

8. kuelblaz

kuelblaz TS Member

Omaha,
    When you said index pin, are you talking about the little ball? I wasnt sure if I saw one when I took it apart and didnt notice til I was studying the exploded view. Ordered a couple just in case, but what is the copper strap? Bill

9. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

The newer or retrofitted plate actuator had a red decal on them. Think the earlier had a yellow decal and were considered troublesome, not sure about the yellow, and a few other things this morning too.

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

When the tray rotates the little ball is pushed into a hole on tray by the copper finger. This gives a positive lock at each station. The holes in the tray need to be clean not full of powder. This is really important on Grabbers and 650s as you can feel the tension when the plate has rotated far enough to drop the ball in the hole on the plate. This prevents you from being out of alignment on a downward stroke and crushing some hulls. Yes, been there ... done that. I am in the process of help MEC write a new book titled: What NOT to do on your MEC reloader. It will be coauthored by: Bet He don't listen. YMMV Omaha PS I find a number of pistons with the blue label.

11. kuelblaz

kuelblaz TS Member

Thanks for all the info, parts are on the way

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.