1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

MEC 9000G Reloader Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have a MEC 9000G reloader and think I have a problem, When I pull the handle down it works fine, however when I release the handle on the upstroke it seems to bind in the middle of the stroke. It does return to the initial stage but isn't fluid and I need to really give it a push to go. I know my grabber wasn't like this. Any ideas on how to fix?
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

Lubing the collet is a good idea. Also before you lube it make sure it is clean. You might have to take it apart to get the job done. HMB
  3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yep that was it. The collet was pretty dry. Clean it and lubed with grease. 100 times better.
  4. jliveng1

jliveng1 TS Member

How do you know where to reset the collet to once you've cleaned and lubed it?
  5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Active Member

jliveng1,

Excellent question, and all you have to do is run the adjusting nut all the way up (counterclockwise). Just make sure that the adjusting nut does not bind on the hex against the flat surface of the machine. MEC sells a hex wrench in that size that I've found works well on my machine(s) - (four MEC 9000Gs). Once you've done that, back it off 1-2 turns. This resizes the shell smaller just a slight amount. Then try a couple in your gun, especially if you shoot an autoloader. They need to load and cycle freely. Going too far down on the adjusting nut will begin to wear the collet prematurely and also cause the machine to not work as freely as it needs to. So some trial and error here will give you what you need.

Clean the collet as best you can. I prefer to remove the collet assembly from the machine to do this. Even one small piece of lead shot (flattened, sheared off, etc.) lodged in the collet will disrupt the smooth operation of the machine in station #1. A small jar of Never Seize lubricant available at any automotive supply store is a good purchase and it will last you a lifetime. Applied carefully with a Q-tip on the OUTSIDE surfaces of the collet fingers and the loader will then operate correctly for quite a while.

Good luck.

Jon Reitz
  6. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

If you had made all the adjustments that John has mentioned in the past and everything is as you want it. I just mark my nut and collet fingers with whiteout. take the collet out clean it regrease it and tighten the nut until the whiteout touches. Its just as I left it. hope this helps ya. Rick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.